|60|

Repeat after me:

Somewhere the moon rises out of the rain. Somewhere Icarus crawls out of the sea, unburned and alive. Somewhere we are polishing the word absence with our tounges and learning not to be terrified of all we lack.

- Wisdom teeth by Keaton St. James

*   *   *

It's nearing the last few weeks. Orion is closing in on himself more and more, becoming more anxious as the time approaches.

Grandma laughs at his behavior.

"I don't have anything to compare it to, but I wonder if this is how Jay would have acted."

I find out the answer soon.

Unexpectedly one day, Grandjay arrives. With him is Leo.

It takes me a few seconds to register that they are even there before I rush towards Leo. I can hear Orion's protest in the background, but ignore it.

"Uh, It's hard to hug you Soraya," Leo laughs as he tries to gently wrap his arms around me.

I laugh with him.

He pulls back, looking at my face. He nods at what he sees.

"Yes. You look happy."

I wish I could say the same for Leo. But I can't.

There is a shadow in his eyes. A darkness hanging under them. And the smell. That same smell that always clung to Leo now seemed to suffocate and drown me.

Rex leaves the room politely, but looking at Leo's face, he can already tell why.

"You're not the Alpha?"

Leo shakes his head, "I already told you it was temporary."

"Then whose Alpha now?"

"Rhett."

I pause, thinking it over. I always knew Rhett had some Alpha blood within him. I just never guessed it would be enough to get the actual position.

"I chose him myself. I think he'll be a good fit for the pack."

I look at Grandjay. He smiles and nods, leaning forward to pat Leo on the shoulder proudly.

"You made a wonderful Alpha, Leonardo."

Leo smiles fondly at Grandjay, "thank you. But it was tiring."

Grandjay gives him a knowing look, "part of the job."

Both males turn to me then, "have you been taking care of yourself Soraya?"

Grandma pushes into the conversation then, "I've been taking excellent care of her, thank you very much- she is doing well, thanks to me."

"Yes thank you, Grandma," I said, looking at Orion to roll my eyes to him.

"And I'm glad you're here Leo," grandma takes his arm dragging him along with her, "I hope Jay hasn't filled your head with useless stuff to make you forget what I taught you? Mmhh? Now I have some patients I want you to meet and look at- tell me what you think and maybe-,"

Grandma's voice drifts away down the hall. Grandjay looks after her sadly.

"I've only been here for ten minutes and she's already leaving me."

I pat his shoulder, trying to sooth the pained look in his eye.

"Come on Grandjay. I wanted to show you the training grounds I had constructed for the pack and get your feedback."