|65|

"Aphrodite," I plead to the moon-drenched sky,

"Tell me;

if love is meant to heal, then why does it destroy those who choose it?"

From somewhere beyond the clouds, I heard the goddess laugh.

And I knew.

-Nikita Gill, Night Songs to Aphrodite

*   *   *

I don't think of the similarities the next day as Orion finds me laying there in the woods.

I do feel guilt at the panic I've caused him when his arms circle around me.

"Thank you Goddess..." a sob leaves him as he lifts me and pulls me to him. He buries his face into my shoulder, trying to control his breathing.

"You have her?" It's Grandma's gentle voice. Then Rex's.

Then reality.

I slowly pull away from Orion, letting my hand rest on his cheek.

"I'm sorry."

I stand up, smiling at his worried stare.

"I'm fine."

Orion continues to watch me with worried eyes.

"Soraya."

Grandma softly approaches, taking my hand in hers and feeling my pulse, putting her hand against my forehead, checking other things to make sure there was truth in my words.

I'm still dazed. Dazed enough to believe I'm still in a dream when I look up and see dad.

My gaze stops and freezes on him.

I turn to Grandma, panic rising in me.

"Do you see him also?"

Grandma turns to where I'm pointing and smiles.

"He came last night. They wanted to surprise you but then we couldn't find..."

Dad slowly walks forward, his gaze not leaving mine as he leans to me.

"Soraya...are you okay?"

I blink back my confusion at his question, but Grandma answers it for me in soothing tones.

"She's fine Atlas. It's okay."

Dad pulls back.

"You can walk?"

I nod, starting forward down the path, "I'm fine."

The next few minutes are slow.

Orion holds my arm, a motion that keeps me steady. The events of last night swirl in my head. My mind flinches from them- the pain that they bring. But there is an easing calmness that comes close after.

"Why are you here?"

My words are directed at dad. He knows they are.

He slows down, but there is not enough room on the path to walk side by side with Orion next to me.

"Leo told me you left."

Dad doesn't flinch back or try to defend himself.

He only turns to me, still walking forward as he says, "We'll talk about this with your mom."

"Where is she?"

For the first time I see a smile split on Dad's face, "She's with Tala."

His smile only widens as he looks back at me, "She's beautiful Soraya."