|31|

The tide loves nothing more than 

washing your love away just so she can 

watch it return. She might belong to water 

but, oh my, that girl loves to burn. 

-s.r.w.

***

"Henry."

No one moves. No one speaks. I watch as slowly, the pack parts to let him through. I feel nothing as he kisses the top of Reign's head, passing his daughter to his mate before kissing her forehead also.

Fear is clear to see in Katie's eyes as she watches him walk to the center of the circle and stand next to me.

Lilah wears a wicked smile, a savage look of pure bloodlust as she eagerly watches him.

"Henry. I don't know you. You're not someone who stands out."

Henry doesn't say a word to her. Instead, he turns to me, lowering his head. 

"What the hell was that," he points to where dad laid, Leo working furiously on him.

"I'm Alpha."

It comes over me. Waves of power rushing into me. I raise my hand, looking at the red limb.

"I'm Alpha."

Wonder is in my tone. I did it.

I'm Alpha.

I look up at Henry, a laugher spilling out of me. A dazed sort of dream that I've accomplished something that everyone told me I couldn't.

"I'm Alpha."

He is staring down at me, his eyes conflicted at his gaze flickers back up to his mate, before resting on me.

"Will you be my Beta?"

We stare at each other. Dominance and power flood through me. I can't feel any of my injuries. Instead, I'm euphoric. Like I have conquered the world and watched it crumbled under my feet. I'm victorious. The power of the moment was blinding me, making me intoxicated from the feeling.

"Yes. Yes Soraya. I'll be your Beta."

Lilah laughs at our interaction.

"You're Beta only if you beat me."

Henry steps forward. I watch, small reality hitting back into me as it occurs that now Henry was the one fighting for his position and title. Now Henry was the one fighting for his life.

"Let's do this."

Lilah needs no other encouragement.

She darts forward, shifting in midair. I move out of the way, avoiding her snapping jaws as they clamp around where I stood a second ago.

Henry's hand shoots out, his fits colliding with Lilah's snout.

"I'm your opponent."

Lilah snarls, her golden eyes moving to focus on him as she darts forward again. This time he's ready. He shifts also. Two brown wolves fight. They are a mass of saliva and blood.

Henry grabs Lilah's leg, faster than I can register and pulls with all his strength. A gasp comes over the crowd at the sickening crack that can be heard.

Mom is shaking her head, unable to take in the scene of violence.

I hear Aunt Quinn scream in the distance. Watch as Uncle Mark moves to hold her back, away from the fight.