|40|

We are made

of all those

who have built

and broken us

-atticus

***

The weeks came. They fell away from me as I watched each day come and go. Each hour, minute and second a racing clock that acted like a final countdown now. A timer that was waiting- ticking slowing away.

There seemed to be no physical change.

Orion was disappointed in that. He wanted the full belly and roundness that showed his future joy. My work as a warrior and Alpha made it so that my body could not betray me. It did not seem like I was with child. Just that I was sick. Unwell.

The signs all pointed to some sickness, but I don't think the pack had a grasp on what ailed me. Something of stress -of lack of leadership and strength in the new position of Alpha.

Something like that.

The sickness showed well, but it was a cover that I wanted them to believe. For once I wanted them to feed into the lie of weakness in me, rather than finding out the truth. It wasn't something Orion understood. But he didn't need to understand it. He just needed to continue in the lie with me.

The office had become my retreat. A hideaway to cover my body from the wandering eyes of the pack. Henry now was becoming the focal point of their attention. The Beta in the front while the Alpha remained silent and behind in the back. I could handle that pairing.

I sat there, staring out the window and watching mom paint. Dad wasn't with her today. Probably with Grandjay, talking next to the lake or training together. Doing something that children and parents should do.

Orion had taken his place instead.

He laid at mom's feet, content to feel nothing but the sun on his fur as he listened to her idle talk of whatever topic came into her mind.

A knock on the door takes away my attention.

"Come in."

Leo steps inside, a haggard look dragging down his face. I push aside the knowledge that I was the cause now for his sleepless nights. I was the reason so much burden and responsibility was falling onto him at such a young age.

"Soraya, I have the weekly report from the clinic, and the medical records you asked for. You need to come into my office later this week though so Nurse Joy can do your checkup."

"I don't need a check-up."

"I'll schedule it three days from now," he says, ignoring my previous comment. He stands there, a sudden tremor running up his arms. It catches my attention. Another thing catches my attention- the smell coming from Leo. A new scent of sweat and nervous anxiety. He always was cloaked in the smell of ruined hopes and a crushed soul but this new addition caused a weight to settle on me.

I watch him as he closes his eyes, inhaling deeply before speaking.

"I have a request for you."

"Yes?"

"I have to make a patient visit and I...I was hoping that the presence of the Alpha there would make it easier."

I lean against the window, sighing at the request, "Leo I'm very bu-,"

"Just this once."

The rushed interrupted words make me stop. He bites back whatever he wants to say next, swallowing down another breath of air to relieve the new tremor that is running down him. His eyes shut again, blocking me to look at him and see what emotion they held. To stop me from seeing the pain inside.