|42|

She is strong but she is a child

she is a child

she is a child

take the world

off her shoulders

children should not have to fight

to be young

m.h.w.//yuki. age thirteen.

***

You don't remember days. Days take ahold and make you remember them. They imprint upon your soul, violent in their need to be branded upon your mind. Days don't stick. They flow away. You don't choose to take that moment and make it something that will last.

That moment chooses you.

Because no matter how often you wish to forget- no matter how much you beg and plead for the memories to stop and for the knowledge of that day to never come- it still comes.

You don't remember days.

You relive them, and the horror, joy, and onslaught of emotions they bring.

"Don't."

The door to the office slams against the wall, the two males shoving their way through the entrance in the attempt of being first.

"I'm her beta I have to-,"

"I'm her mate, her Luna. Don't-,"

"She has to!"

"Stop!"

Both Henry and Orion still, anger clear within their stance as they both glare at one another. There is another emotion that holds within their gaze though. I don't have to see to know.

I can taste it coming off of waves from Orion.

Fear.

"Soraya there-,"

"Don't. Tell. Her."

Henry and I both turn to stare in mute shock at the tone that has laced Orion's voice. It sends my flesh to rise as I take it in. There was an edge of steel not only in his eyes, but words. It had been a while since the wild leaked from Orion- the proof that he was something born of chaos and instinct. His life in the pack had made him domestic.

But now it all came back to me that Orion was a creature who did not chain himself down. He was dangerous in his own way, and when threatened- he would bite.

Henry's face falls.

"I have to," he says weakly, a deep sorrow penetrating each word.

"Orion. You should know better than to hold anything back from my position."

A burning look enters his face, one that shakes me to the core. I can't look at it.

Instead I turn to Henry, curious now as to what has caused this scene to unfold.

He hesitates. His chance now to speak is open but the reluctance is clear to see as the words uncertainly swirl within his mind.

"There's...There's a challenger."

A vacuum sucks the air out of the room as I rise from the chair.

A challenge.

"The position?"

Henry confirms.

I nod. "Okay."

Orion steps in front of me, a desperate look on his face.