|13|

Forget Stardust. You are Iron. 

Your blood is nothing but ferrous liquid. 

When you bleed you reek of rust. 

It is iron that sits in your heart and fills your veins. 

And what is iron, really, unless it is forged? 

You are iron. 

And you are strong. 

-n.t. 

***

Eager eyes watch the female as she struggles to catch up to the herd.

I thought the elk very stupid creatures to continue onward and not feel the threat that loomed behind them.

But the wolves never slaughtered.

They only took what they needed- living on what they had to, in order to survive.

There would be no point in killing the herd, and the truth was- I wasn't even sure after watching the first hunt- if they could take down a fully-grown elk who was in the prime of health.

Instead, they preyed upon the weak and sick- those that were easy to pick off.

The female is obviously ill.

Something is wrong with the way foam rolls from her mouth, dripping down to mingle with the snow.

How her hot breaths are labored.

I don't even revolt at the thought that this is dinner.

It was just the wolf now.

I didn't see a disease.

I saw a meal.

I walk to the side, anticipating that I will once again join the other young wolfs, but the male stops me.

He steps in front of me, blocking my path.

The action alone has me turning the other way. The other direction.

Towards the hunt.

A sudden burst of adrenaline rushes through me as I slowly grasp what he is implying.

Join.

I don't even look behind to confirm if this is what he means. I run forward, mingling in with the other females.

They pay me no attention.

They had no room for distractions.

I look behind and meet the eyes of the male. His grey penetrates me, a silent encouragement that presses me on.

I mimic the females, getting low and circling around the elk.

I had seen the hunts before, but now actually being in one up close- my nerves ran wild.

Anticipation had my limbs quivering and my breathes coming up in short pants. My eyes, my movements- everything about me was restless.

We stay in our position until one female darts out.

We quickly follow behind.

The elk, though she may be weak and delirious from her crazed mind- still has the sense to fight back.

She possesses her own danger.

Hard hooves connected with strong kicks.

I don't even see it coming.

One second I'm with the females, grabbing onto the flesh and darting away- the next I'm being thrown into the snow, a crushing pain meeting my side.

An involuntary yelp leaves me.

I remember the last time when this had happened.

The other she-wolf had gotten up, shaken her fur off, and rejoined the hunt.

And that is exactly what I do.

I continue forward, but I see now that the other females are acting with more vigor. Either enraged that one of their own had been hurt, or trying to cover for the loss of my damage.

We quickly wear down the elk, her foam almost choking her as a cough rattles her frame.

The males rush forward, latching on and finishing what we started.

I don't even watch.

I'm already on the ground, laying with the pain pulsing in my side.

I feel the soothing touch of a tongue, licking my wound.

I look up expecting to see the male but instead find the females surrounding me.

They are guarding me.

Making sure no other harm comes towards me as I display my moment of weakness.

A flash of the skin side surfaces through the wolf at the show of support I'm receiving.

They thought nothing of it.

It was natural.

But it was not natural for me.

They step aside, letting the male through.

He falls with me, crawling towards me on his stomach as a low whine reaches his throat. The others are gone, distracted by the fresh kill, but the male leans his head down, worry clear in his eyes.

I have a sudden urge to shift, but the idea sounds too painful to bear with the state of my ribs.

Instead, I slowly rise, wincing with each breath.

The male quickly stands on my good side, letting me fall and lean on his weight.

It's not something a wolf would do.

No.

This was skin surfacing under fur.

The human coming out within the animal.

Actions mingling together now to be combined.

He helps me to the kill.

A sudden flash of pride runs through me as I take in the elk.

I had helped take her down.

I had assisted in the hunt.

Though I had received an injury, the pain was worth it in the end with the reward I gained.

A small satisfied growl runs through me. It's painful, but the male growls back- one full of approval.

Almost pride.

We both become consumed in the warm kill and fresh blood before us.

But the male never lets my weight go as he continues to support my body with his.