26 - The Return of the Lost Princess

Vampire Mates
26: The Return of the Lost Princess

[2 days ago, when Rose is in the prison]

Demetri’s Point of View

I sat silently on the plastic stool as I tenderly brushed Lily’s brown hair aside, and leaned down to peck on her cheeks. Her heart rate was steady, but she was still in a comatose state. Already 3 times have she made slight movements and signs of waking up, but Shelly claimed that it would probably take 3 or 4 more days for her wake up. The past 3 days have been absolute torture for me, waiting for any signs of her recovery.

I was sipping on my cup of BloodKeep (the best blood-café ever; it’s like Starbucks) type-A blood, my right hand clasped onto Lily’s, like what I have been doing 24/7 for the past 3 days, when I suddenly thought about the incident 2 days ago at my dad’s study.

I could imagine Rose’s frail body in the palace dungeons, starving to death. I winced slightly; what Lily would say when she found out. Somehow, the idea of her being in prison, with no one, isolated, made me sad and a bit heartbroken and disappointed at myself. I disregarded the feeling as protectiveness over my mate’s friend.

There was nothing between me and Rose. I don’t feel anything for her. Not even one bit.

Right?

I admit I might’ve been a bit too harsh to Rose, but she claimed that she was in love with me. Alright, sure, not to be boastful, but there is tons of girls out there in the vampire lands who claims that they’re in love with me too. But Rose is different. When the words left her mouth, it was when I made all the calculations.

Rose wasn’t the type like Dana – bless that poor soul that’s back in the human lands, clueless to where her friends are – who dressed up and flirted obnoxious and shamelessly at the guy to get his attention (aka, me). She wasn’t like Lily, either, who was shy and would never admit to the King that she’s in love with me (well, then again, dad did threaten Rose if she didn’t tell the truth, he would kill her).

No, she seemed like the type… oh, I don’t know. Judging on that small incident in the game room, after she blasted Lily, I believed that she was the type that would kill to be in Lily’s place, and I don’t just mean figuratively, but literally. Sure, she looked so guilty and terrified when she saw Lily on the white hospital bed, but what would happen one day if she wasn’t in check of her emotions? What if, then, she’d be more powerful, and manage kill Lily out of what she claimed was jealousy?

I sighed and but the Styrofoam cup down at the bedside table and sighed as I studied Lily’s face. Lily was just such a beauty, a treasure.  Any guy would be lucky to have her. I’m so lucky to have her. But, I was afraid of one thing: what if she died one day out of old age, but I being a vampire continued living? I wouldn’t live to see what day it was without her. But I couldn’t just kill myself; I’m a prince, I have to rule the kingdom and set an example.

But… a future without Lily, just seemed an impossible future.

Suddenly, while I was deep in my thoughts, I felt Lily’s hands twitching. My eyes snapped over to look at her, only to see her pale lips parted, her eyes scrunched together and her fingers moving slightly. Hope formed in my chest as I lifted her head up with my hands, and looked at her, praying to the gods above to help me.

“Come on, Lily,” I whispered to myself as my heart thudded in hope as Lily moved slightly in my arms.

But something else happened.

Without warning, Lily’s piercing scream erupted through the hospital room’s walls suddenly, echoing as she moved as if she was on fire on her bed. Her eyes were shut, but her lips were opened wide, yelling and screaming in terror as she tightened her grip on my hand. She rolled to and fro, tossing and turning in the bed. I panicked.