27 - Final Choice

Vampire Mates
27: Final Choice

“Back away from her, now,” Cranelia ordered as the monster zapped over to me in an abnormally as-fast-as-lightning speed. He smirked at her, who was looking absolutely gorgeous in a golden dress, with her sandy brown hair plaited down her shoulder. I could make out the resemblance between her and Demetri.

The crowd around me was murmuring noisily, and some had already made the connection between this girl that stood before me here and the girl who went missing a few years back. Demetri stood up in disbelief as he stared at Cranelia, his eyes as wide as saucers.

“Rose,” Cranelia turned to look at me. Her eyes were pleading me not to be rash, to make the right decision. I clenched my fist and felt the smooth metal there. It was too late for her to try now.

No one cared, anyways. Demetri only cares for Lily. Lily only cares for Demetri. Cranelia didn’t care. She just wanted world peace.

But the monster did.  He knew how it was like to be tossed and thrown away. He knew what it was like to be the outcast; heck, he is the outcast. He understood my fury. He understood how it’s like for me. He offered something good out of all these things: revenge.

“No, Cranelia,” I responded, my voice ringing loud and clear, strong and bold. “This is my choice; my fight. You offered me a choice between good and evil, and this is my choice. You can’t control me, Cranelia.”

“Yes, but I can try to sway your decisions,” Cranelia tried again. “Think about it. Good people always win-”

“Yes! So this is why I don’t want to be good. Maybe, for once, the bad will win, alright? The good people always assume that they are the best. If you guys are good, you should, for once, listen to the bad guys. Why do they want to do this? It’s because you guys treat them – us ­– badly!” I shouted at her. “It’s stereotypical; good people don’t win all the time. Look at me. I did all the good things I could. Supported my best friend to date the guy I love, pretended it didn’t hurt every time he kisses her, pretended that I was alright. See how I ended up like? I give up, Cranelia. Good isn’t going to bring me anywhere.”

“Maybe if you keep trying to be good-”

“Tell me, Cranelia. Tell me if I keep trying to be good, all the things around me would start blossoming into pretty daisies and rainbows would start appearing the sky! Tell me if I did that, would Demetri finally open his eyes and see who I really am?”

Cranelia stayed quiet. My eyes were now brimmed with tears of rage. I roughly swiped them away with my hand.

“Face it, Elexandrya. She’s ours. We understand how she feels. You’re not trying to win her over for her good. You’re trying to win her over because you think just being good would help you get everything you want. That it would make everyone think that you’re the good guys. You all claim that you are good. To be honest, it’s just a label. Something that you guys cower behind from.” The monster said. He turned to me, his golden eyes gleaming under his hood. “Your decision, Rose? I’m not forcing you. But if you said no to us…well, I can only say you’re missing out.”

He didn’t need to say anything else. I uncapped the bottle of purple liquid in my hand and lifted it up. But before I could drink it, Demetri appeared beside me and held my wrist with so much force that I couldn’t even move or twitch.

“What are you?” He whispered, “Other than a Xlinx?”

“She’s your mate, Demetrius,” Cranelia interjected. I glared at her. Was this her plan of getting me back to her side? By making Demetri realize the truth? I sneered at her. Demetri snapped his head to her, scowling.