chapter one

01 A HUNTRESS AND HER HEART

       THE YOUNG GIRL FELT SURREAL.

       Her heart pounding against her chest manically as she stared at her surroundings.

      The forest.

       The blonde haired huntress ducked behind the tree, her back flat against the bark. Heavy pants escape her lips. Waiting for the right moment to attack the young fawn she'd been hunting.

Holding her bow tightly to her chest, she sneaked a small peak over her shoulder. The baby deer was drinking from the stream in a small opening in the forest. Clutching onto the bow and aiming it towards the fawn once she felt comfortable enough that it would stay and not run off, she sent the arrow flying into the fawn's side.

The animal jolted forward, running with the arrow sticking out of its side. Artemis grinned, pushing the bow over her shoulder and following after the fawn. The cold eerie air stuck to her face, giving her that natural thrill. Her past few ventures in the outdoors have gone wary. Missing her target once and losing her game. Which is strange for the goddess, considering her arrows always hit their targets.

"You runt! Get back here!" She yelled, evading to let another animal escape from her grip. Her legs leaped in larger gaps, eyes squinting left to right to left, to find any sight of the injured animal. Nothing, though.

Until she felt goo and mush on her boot. She looks down at her feet and sees her right boot covered in red blood and the fawn laying lifeless in the white snow.

Artemis grunted, yanking off her boot harshly and throwing it to the ground. She ignored the sting that came when the wet weather touches her bare foot. Focusing precisely on the meal in front of her. A proud smirk plasters her pretentious rosy cheeks.

       Cracking her knuckles, she took a step forward. Her bow carefully lay down behind her as she took a peek at the baby deers lifeless bleak eyes. Black and dull, she felt saddened suddenly, the urge to eat had washed away and guilt replaced it.

       With a grunt, Artemis clenched her sea blue eyes, her hand moving to the deer's side, softly petting the ruffled wild hair. She thought of the fawn jolting up with life, prancing through the woods, drinking from the rivers.

       And before she knew it, the deer shifted on the ground. Artemis' eyes shot open. The hair on the animal showed no signs of the scarlet liquid, the wound had disappeared along with the arrow.

       Another arrow of Artemis' gone because of these same circumstances.

       The goddess smiled, standing up slowly and backing away. She watched as the fawn's body tensed when it noticed the body near it. The baby deer stood on its four legs and skipped away, briskly. Artemis felt relieved, however, at the same time, hungry.

       "ugh," She muttered, shrugging her bow around her shoulder and walking back to Olympus.

       As she made her hike back home, she felt someone following her. It was only a hunch, but her hunches never deceived her. Especially in the outdoors.

       "Hello?" She called out in a mocking tone, drawing out her bow with an arrow. "Yoohoo?" Her head cocked side to side, taking in everything and anything around her. She stood, her knees slightly bent, eyes floating back and forth as she listened in on everything. The smooth flushing of water against water in the stream. The damp pouring of water off branches. Birds cooing, footsteps.

       She heard shoes stepping into the snow. Crushing it down, again and again. The sound growing as it neared her.

       "Whoever you are, you must know you are making a terrible choice." She spoke, emphasizing the word. Her body rotating slowly so she missed no movement in her general vicinity.

      "Dear ole sister," he began, Artemis flinched and aimed the arrow at him. She scowled at his smirk. "would you actually kill me?"

       "Apollo, you fool! I could've killed you," She gritted her teeth, spitting at him forcefully.

       "Like you killed that deer?" He shot back, his eyes narrowing at the arrow only inches away from his head. Artemis had not yet retracted her weapon, she was still debating on whether to let go of the trigger or not.

       Apollo could be charming, he was charming. At least to most people. Most people not being his twin sister, Artemis. The twin archers have always been at each other's throats, competing to be the best in a playful manner. Although, at the end of the day, they are family and do fight on the same team and for the same battles.

       Artemis has full trust in her brother, just not much faith. He can be quite inadequate when it comes to anything involving logic. For example, he seems to not have the ability to grow up and still acts like a puny child.

       "I appreciate your wit, brother," She replied, sarcasm lacing her tone, rolling her eyes. Her eyes narrowing at the one bare foot sliding into the achingly cold snow.

       "Here." He said, handing her the shoe she left behind.

       Artemis glared at the shoe then Apollo. She was going to refuse, she wanted to refuse. Being a stubborn girl like usual, she did. Shaking her head, she continued her limp.

       Apollo chuckled, "Artie, are you joking? Take the boot." He demanded, following behind her.

       "How long were you watching me?" She asked, ignoring his comment and the threatening frostbite.

       He shrugged, "Eh, give or take a few hours."

       "A few hours!" Her eyes rose and so did the menacing glare. If one person could get under her skin, it was hands down Apollo. He always did this, followed her. Which led to a growing urge to change him into a wild boar. That way, he'd be more interesting.

       A smirk rose onto the goddess' face, imagining her brother as an animal.

       The blond haired girl winced, the cold ice melting into her skin. Weeping off layers, and causing a burn to erupt through her heel. She bit down on her lip, pushing her foot down harder into the snow as her pace picked up. Wanting nothing more than a swim in hot water, or lava.

      "Stop that!" Apollo shouted, breaking Artemis from her thoughts and back to life.

       She halted and turned around, a deep sigh flowing out of her red lips. "What?" Folding her hands across her chest and kneeling more of her weight on the boot-clad foot.

       Apollo rolled his eyes, throwing the boot into the distance. Artemis' eyes followed the flying boot.

        "Apollo..what are you do-"  But before she could finish her sentence, her brother lifted Artemis into his arms.

       "Just like when we were kids," He grinned, facing Artemis' annoyed expression.

       "Just walk!" She yelled, narrowing her eyes at trees they passed.

       "No 'thank you brother, you are the best. What in Olympus would I do without you?' He mocked with a high voice.

       "Do I talk like a pubescent child?" She growled, annoyed at the sexist predicted remark. She hated anything girly and soft. Artemis had her vulnerable moments but she also was strong and capable.

       She didn't need a helping hand from a male. Only herself, she never needed anyone. Not since Orion.

       Orion only made her realize that love is a hoax. It only causes pain and raw intentions. That's all it is.

       Right now, by herself, she is content. She's okay with what her life is. If her happiness involves being companion-less, then let that be.

       Artemis refuses to chance a loss at someone she cares for again.