chapter three

03 HER FAULTS AND FLAWS

THE HUNTRESS WAS PRANCING AROUND THE ROOM IN A REPEATED FASHION.

       Her heart felt like it was dropping down to her digestive system. Ridding her of all the pain she's ever felt and becoming a pure heartless goddess. Not much would change, but that way, she'd have an excuse for acting so thoughtless towards mankind.

       "Artemis!" Apollo yelled, picking at his nails as he watched his sister pace.

        "What!?" She hissed, coming to a halt to face her brother. She scowled watching how careless his demeanor was.

       He only cares about himself, where's the surprise, Artemis thinks to herself.

       Letting out an agitated growl, the goddess sits herself down on her woven clad bed, collecting her barrens.

       "Calm down. Breathe, yeah?" Apollo told her. Artemis could hear his footsteps nearing the bed and this urge to slit his throat overcame her.

      Artemis swung up from her bad with impulsive anger, "I am breathing!" She spat out at her brother uncontrollably. He winced in response, taking a step back. Artemis clenched her eyes shut, realizing what she done like an abusive husband whom just hit his wife. "S-sorry. I shouldn't of yelled at you." She cleared her throat.

       Pursing his lips, Apollo emitted a chuckle from his usual grinned mouth, "Watch your mouth. Next person you snap at might not be as empathetic as I." He gritted.

       Artemis swallowed, feeling Apollo towering over her. He didn't scare her. No, he's her brother. Siblings don't hurt siblings. Especially twins as them. But it felt like Apollo just threatened her. Artemis felt threatened and a dreary haze was clouding her eyes. Like the haze of fog you see before rain, except for Artemis the rain would be tears. She doesn't cry, though. Not anymore. She's only cried twice in her whole life.

        The first time she cried was the first time her mother, Leto, took the twin archers to the woods. She gifted each of them with a handcrafted bow and arrow. Apollo wasn't as happy with his gift as Artemis. Artemis knew right when her hands held that sculpted wood, she'd never want to let go.

       She pointed the arrow towards the bird that was perched on a tree branch, and slung her arm back and the arrow went flying. Blood spluttered out of the tiny animal and so did tears from Artemis' eyes.

       The second time she cried was also in the woods. Her arms carrying a weight of another. Orion. She was crouched out on the cold grass and dirt. Orion's lifeless body burning away on Artemis' arms. She yelled at him, reminding him of a time he promised he'd never leave. She begged him to stay. She told him he was all she had. But it was no use. As Orion had already breathed his last breath. And Artemis' heart pumped its last pump.

       "Apollo, I need you to do something for me." She begged, staying a few inches away from his to keep precautions in case he lashed out. She could take him on a normal day, but not now. Not now, with her hunting soul debasing itself.

       He rolled his eyes, "Of course. You always need something from me, it seems." He jabbed, folding his arms in a bored fashion.

       Artemis sighed, sitting down on her bed sheets. Her gaze fell from her brothers to the soft rug on her floor. Eyes tracing over the intricate patterns, feeling lost in her head until Apollo snapped his fingers in front of her speak. "Eyes on me when you speak to me."

      Artemis felt her throat clog up.

       "Bring him to me. Alive."

      Apollo snorted a deep chuckle, "Who? Adonis? I will do no such thing!"