chapter twentyfour

24 FINAL DESTINATION

"ARTEMIS." SHE SPOKE CLEARLY TO THE GUARD, EVEN THOUGH HER INSIDES WERE TURNING EVERY WHICH WAY BEYOND HER FACADE.

"Oh, yes, Artemis. Of course. You've been expected. You're late." The guard said, looking her up and down with a smug expression.

"I'm well aware. The journey here was rather..." She risked Adonis a glance in the corner of her eye, "rather eventful."

The guard nodded, looking behind him at his fellow swordsman before his eyes flew to Adonis. "I see you have the package"

Artemis felt the wince shudder through Adonis at the word they used to describe a person, a god. She was beginning to understand how terribly he's always been downplayed by everyone in Olympus.

"More or less."

"Though I'm sure Zeus has a punishment to come in response to your time management, still I believe he will be extravagant to finally have you two here."

Artemis furrowed her brows at his way with words but just shook it off as mere lower status grammar gone wrong.

"Right, yes. Can we?" She nodded up at the palace behind the guard. Her hand instinctively curved around the back of Adonis' elbow.

The guard cocked his brow, suggestively smiling at Artemis before stepping to the side so they could pass through.

"After you."

...

The guard led the duo through the corridors of Zeus' palace. Guards seemed to flock every door and corner, all sporting the same dull, neutral colored uniform. Artemis was beginning to question the vast amount of armed forces. Yes, this was the king of Olympus chambers, but it seemed to flock much more guards than a normal occasion.

"So, tell me, god of beauty," The guard began and because of the mockery in his tone, Artemis felt an urge to yank his tongue from his mouth, "how good is Aphrodite in bed, hmm?"

Adonis' toes curled, as did his fists but Artemis was quick and gave him a reassuring squeeze to his bicep. She could feel his tenseness evaporate under her touch.

"Those were only rumors, sir." Artemis lied, answering for Adonis.

Adonis looked at her with wide eyes and parted lips, wondering what the Olympus she was lying for.

"Really? Everything I've heard on the topic of dear Adonis and Aphrodite are false and just word of mouth?"

"Of course. Adonis is only a virgin, after all."

Adonis choked on air, holding his chest to contain the excessive coughing spurt.

Artemis bowed her head to hide a smirk.

"Is he dying?" The guard halted and watched Adonis gag with disgust lacing his eyes.

"Absolutely not. Can we please hurry this up? Time is of the essence." Artemis bit her lip when the guard nodded and went back to the trek. She winked at Adonis before following behind.