chapter twentytwo

22 DARING SMILE

"APHRODITE'S GOING TO KILL ME."

     Adonis' laugh echoed in the forest. Both, him and Artemis sprawled their bodies out on the ground when dawn haunted the skies.

    "How so, now?" He asked, eyes fluttering shut for a moment.

     Even though Adonis could not see Artemis, she lifted a shoulder in a shrug, gnawing at her lips in thought. The goddess of beauty certainly wasn't on the clever side, but she's cruel, evil, and easy to temper. Evidently, Artemis has angered Aphrodite in one way or another. All starting and ending with the god laying inches away from her.

"Well, when you do leave..to Earth. She'll be all over me. Of course, the secret of your departure won't be a secret long enough. I mean, when she finds out..."

"She'll kill you." He finished in a strained voice, swallowing.

"Yeah." She nodded, absently. Tilting her head slightly to glance at Adonis. His eyes were still shut, making it easier for her betraying sight. Watching him never got old, she pondered idly. It was the truth, his face, his features...the physicality of him, made Adonis immortal. A glimmering shadow lurking in the heavens of other, more powerful gods.

     Then his eyes were on hers. Watching her watch him. His lips twitched, and then a smirk appeared across his face, knowing how effective his dimples were to the female species.

     Artemis' face stayed blank. Not revealing any emotion, just curiosity and thought. Trying to figure him out, like always. Adonis was a book in an otherworld language.

     Abruptly his face grew closer to hers. Their breaths mingled together, overlapping each other's scents.

     Adonis' nose brushed hers and quickly, like it never happened, she shot up straight. Her hands went up to her forehead and rubbed the stress creases in her skin.

     "I — sorry." He swallowed, sitting up on his elbows, watching the muscles in her back work.

     Artemis shook her head in her hands, "No, uh, we only have a couple hours. We need the sleep..so let's just stop talking."

     Adonis mocked a chuckle.

     She shot him a look over her shoulder, ignoring the sting in her belly when she saw how disheveled his hair was. How disheveled and just naturally beautiful he looked right there. In the moonlight.

     "You're right. No talking," He agreed with a brisk nod before curling over on his shoulder so his back faced Artemis. "What's new," he mumbled quietly.

    Artemis opened her mouth to respond but when no words came out, she clamped her lips together and gulped. Her gaze halted on the back of his head until his breathing slowed into a even, passive beat and then lowered herself back to the ground.

     She hugged her body and looked up to nature's ceiling. Stars glared back at her in warning. A reminder of Orion and that he'd always be there. And this time, when she thought of it, of Adonis, and the lustful thoughts she's had, she didn't feel guilt. Just disappointment.

     Her eyelids fell heavy and soon sleep wrapped the goddess in a bundle of dreams.

——

     Leaves crunched under Artemis' weight. Adonis walked beside her. He'd  been quiet since they woke up. After the moment they almost shared, a thorny environment bloomed.