chapter eight

08 GOLD LIPS

THE FIRST THING ARTEMIS DID WAS TAKE A STEP FORWARD. ALWAYS FORWARD, NOT BACK.

Her eyes remained perched deathly on the naiad and the lapping river surrounding her, "Hide." She ordered Adonis silently.

He knitted his brows together, staring at her profile, "No. I won't." He refused, taking a step closer himself.

Artemis clenched her eyes shut for a moment, sighed, and realized no matter how hard she pushed, Adonis was far too stubborn to back down.

Artemis' eyes raise towards the naiad, whom is staring back at them. Half of her body is in the misty water, the other half peaking up over the edge. She wonders if the folks tails of naids needing water to live was true.

"We're not looking for any trouble." She voiced, voice bored and annoyed. Her impatience has been blown, not that she's ever carried any sense of collective-ness but standing in front of this naiad who must think Artemis has all the time in the world, fuels the fire of hatred for others.

"I am only trouble." The naiad replied. Artemis could see the shadow of a grin spreading her pale cheeks.

The naiad kneeled over the edge with force on her palms and then rose herself out of the water. Her feet still touching the boiling swamp at a shallow end.

The first thing Artemis discerned was she was bare. Her body spread raw out for anyone and everyone who passed her paths. Flower pedals pleated in crevices of her damp thick curly hair. Her excruciatingly long hair was the only thing covering the lumps on her chest.

Artemis swore she caught glimpse of Adonis staring, the huntress rolled her eyes.

"Tiasa?" Adonis suddenly called out, mostly to himself but loud enough for Artemis to hear.

The goddess clutched her head in his direction swiftly, sending him a warning yet confused look.

Adonis briefly glanced at his capturer before averting his irises back to the naiad. His lanky legs stretched out once, taking gapped strides toward the river.

Artemis shot her hand out and grabbed his bound wrists, "Don't." She gritted out.

"Just..one second." He whispered back, yanking his wrists from her hold for the second time that day.

Artemis thought he was stupid and reckless before but this is only more proof. Naiads are seductive creatures that live in the waterways. Not all are evil but some are vengeful. Artemis has had her run with naiads and her experience was one of the messier ones. Her number one tip is 'don't slumber with a naiad'.

Shaking the memory away, her eyes carefully watch every movement Adonis makes. Her head tilts back, observing the wired rope around his wrists, making sure the bound is still alive and strong.

"My beautiful, Adonis," the naiad, Tiasa, purred. This is what the naiads were known for, making young gods and goddesses feel special. Cherish anyone with feet with compliments and flirtatious smiles that mean absolutely nothing. It was disgusting to Artemis.