chapter twentysix

26 THE FINAL DANCE

     TO ARTEMIS' DISMAY, AFTER THE SHARED KISS WITH ADONIS SHE WAS SHOVED DOWN THE CORRIDORS AND INTO A VANITY ROOM WITH DRESSES AND OTTOMANS AND TONS OF MIRRORS.

     She boredly watches the two girls dressed in navy blue floor dresses that are fleeced and cover every inch of skin. Presently, they blabber on Artemis' lack of style and volume in her hair. It occurs to her then that they must be the people sworn to dress her. She sighs at the thought. She almost let the stupid dinner that Zeus has planned pass her mind.

     For some reason, though, Artemis doesn't have it in her to put up a fight or argue about getting all dressed up and prodded with measuring tapes. She obliges as the girls instruct her to stand on the raised floor shaped in a circle in the center of the room. Her arms stretched while one girl with red curly hair measures her body. The other one is picking at different dresses and fabrics. Turning her head in Artemis' direction every few seconds.

     Soon Artemis is taken down from the stool and is ordered to sit before the vanity. And before she can even comprehend what's happening, the red head starts throwing makeup on Artemis' face and taking bobby pins and braids to her hair. All the huntress can do is glare quietly at her almost vulnerable looking face. The other girl disappeared through the door, fabrics in hand as she muttered something about starting the dress.

     Ten agonizing hours later, Artemis is ready for the dinner. She's dressed in a light sky blue dress that reaches the floor. It's material soft and satiny. The collar dips low enough to show the tips of her breast, spreading over her shoulders with a white sheer material that has hints of sparkle that Artemis can't seem to stop getting all over her face and eyes. Which just so happen to also be covered in glitter and eyeshadow. She can practically feel face powder coating her cheeks but she ignores it. She ignores it all in sake of Adonis' last chance of a fun night.

     What Artemis is really excited about, though, is the full feast that will soon be devoured by yours truly later.

A knock rasps against the door suddenly and the two maids smile politely at Artemis, curtsy, and then shuffle out the door. A new body enters.

Artemis swallows at the sight of Zeus.

The king of Olympus wears a cunning smile across his face as he gazes Artemis fully.

"You look lovely, venatrix." He compliments, folding his hands behind his back.

Artemis shoots him a questioning look, "Venatrix?"

Zeus chuckles softly, rubbing the stubble on his chin. "So, it's true. You really have no manners. Well, you're welcome anyways." A sigh. Artemis rolls her eyes. "It means huntress in Latin."

She nods once, clearly not favoring this small talk. "If you wouldn't mind me asking," she starts, forcing a sweet, polite tone to fall from her lips, "when will this dinner begin? I've basically been living on olives for weeks."

Zeus raises a surprised brow, "I suppose you can head down once the slave makes his way back here."

"Slave?" She scoffs, crossing her arms over her chest.

He nods calmly, "Mhm, the boy. Adonis."

"He's not a slave. He's just like us. A god..and he has every right we have. Nowhere near a slave. At all." She clarifies, profusely sweating under the dress she's wearing and forget the food. Artemis loss her appetite the moment Zeus referred to Adonis as a slave.