chapter ten

10 IS IT ALIVE?

        THE SIGHT OF THE OBNOXIOUS SUN PREYING DOWN ON ARTEMIS WOKE HER FROM HER SLUMBER.

             Despite the heat radiating from the shine above, a cold shiver ran down Artemis' spine. She felt this rattling of cold shivers with the absence of a body beside her. Her eyes flickered back and forth around her surroundings, Adonis was nowhere to be found.

            She bounced up on her feet without another wasted second, clenching her fists in balls as her nails dig deeper into the flesh at her palms. A degrading feeling rattled deep into every crevice of the huntress' bones. She felt stupid for even trusting her prisoner. Of course he ran off, he wasn't even chained up. Adonis most likely waited until Artemis was entrapped in a deep sleep and then made his leave.

              One thing she couldn't quite comprehend was why he didn't kill her. He could've killed her. He should've killed her.

            What also didn't make sense is why he chose to run off now. When he had many chances to leave and let Artemis rot alone.

           "Artemis!" Someone yelled behind her, her hands instantly shot up and reached for the bow case that usually sat on her shoulder blade, but ended up grasping air.

            With a grunt, she slumped her shoulders and turned towards the direction of the noise. A dry glare laced he features when she saw sandy brown hair and piercing bright eyes.

             She had to admit that she became relieved when she figured Adonis had ran off. Almost like a weight lifted itself from her shoulders. But now that he was here, standing in front of her, everything was back on track.

          Get to Zeus, send Adonis down to Mortal Earth, reclaim the throne of lord of the hunt.

         "I don't understand you." She muttered, recounting her thoughts of Adonis finally finding his freedom.

            Adonis furrowed his brows, "I uh..sorry for leaving." He said, taking steps forward as Artemis rubbed her eyes.

            The crunch of the fallen leaves beneath their feet, signaled to Artemis that Adonis was cautiously approaching her. It became louder and louder, echoing throughout the quiet, serene forest, until it stopped.

          "I went looking for this." He finished, clearing the rasp that settling in his throat.

          Artemis cleared her vision. The sight before her was Adonis holding her bow case by the shoulder strap.

           A snort released from in-between her lips, cupping her mouth in disbelief at the sight of her longed possession. And then she snatched it from his grip, worried he'd yank it away any second and throw it off a cliff, like some sort of joke.

             She hugged the case to her body tightly, not wanting to part ways with it ever again. Her bow and arrow was an anchor for Artemis. An anchor to keep her going and strong. She didn't even care that Adonis was probably staring at her, shocked, as she hugged the stationary object like it was a happy meal in the arms of a needy child.

           When Adonis cleared his throat, she finally loosened the grip on her case and shrugged it over her shoulder. Not wanting to feel any more debase this day, she straightened her head and looked sharply at the god in front of her.