chapter four

04 A VICTIM OF LIES

        HOW IS SOMEONE SUPPOSED TO RESPOND TO UNREQUITED LOVE?

       When you love someone so deeply, so endlessly, you realize you would do anything for that person. Not only does that person flood every thought you have, but they also are part of every decision you make.

       After a while you begin to wonder how that person feels about you. Sometimes they'll just settle. If you like them, they'll force themself to love you or rather the idea of having someone to love more than themself.

        Other times they truly will love you back, and the story ends there for everyone you the you and your lover.

      But in most occurrences, the love you have for someone is only one sided. Hardly even love. Most will learn to back off and move on. But the remaining others will become obsessive. Possessive. And toxic.

       Artemis felt bad for anyone who believed in love. Much like her brother. Apollo was stricken by Eros, more popular known as cupid, and his bow to love the nymph, Daphne.

      Daphne had no feelings for the god. None at all. She was too sweet to tell him otherwise though, so only avoided him. At least, tried to.

         "Daphne, it's me." Artemis whispered, her soft knuckles rubbing against the door.

       A lock and then the door opening was heard before the girl appeared.

       "Artemis." Daphne muttered, cheer filling her voice as she clamped into the huntress' arms.

      Daphne's gingerbread bushy hair tickled Artemis' neck. It made her scrunch up her nose but at the same time feel joyful to smell the familiar scent of oak.

        But suddenly the nymph pulled away. Arms retracting from Artemis' body like it was fire. "Wh-why are you here!? What happened?"

       Artemis sighed, not bothering to wait for an invitation and walked past Daphne inside the house.

       Daphne followed after Artemis as they headed up to her bedroom. "Artemis!" She shouted loud enough to gain her attention.

       Artemis cocked her head towards the nymph, a rise of an eyebrow to indicate her to continue.

       "You never visit me."

        The goddess shrugged, sitting herself down on the nymphs dreamy cloud of a bed.

       "I can tell something happened." Daphne grunted, earning an eye roll from Artemis.

       Artemis let out a deep-breath, eyeing Daphne carefully. She seemed tense and overwhelmed. Her brother was definitely the cause of all the panic in the nymphs life.

      "It's Apollo."

       Daphne sighs, "It's always fucking Apollo." She laughs dryly. A small son escapes her lips before her palm covers her quivering mouth.

      "Daphne, listen. He loves you, very much. Why can't that be enough?"

       "Because!" Daphne yelled. She cried uncontrollably. Wet salt painted itself on her cheeks, as she released her sorrows. "Because Artemis, I don't love him. I just don't. I have nothing against him. He's just not mine. He will never be mine."

      "But you could be!" Artemis reasoned, stepping forward to wipe the tears that sprung down Daphne's darkened features.

      Daphne roughly backed away from Artemis' touch, not wanting to give in. "Artemis, go. Please," She sobbed, her palms covering her face.