chapter fifteen

15 THY WORDS HAVE MEANING

     THE SUNLIGHT OBNOXIOUSLY SHONE DOWN ON APOLLO AS PREY.

With a grunt, Apollo fixated his gaze on the path ahead of him. His feet obnoxiously crunched at the leaves beneath. The god was on a hunt. Hunting not for a creature, but for his sister and her new play friend. Apollo's lip curled upwards, thinking of what he'd do when he got his hands on Adonis.

It'd be easy to torture Artemis as punishment for running off, she could handle the pain. To torture Adonis on the other hand, that would light the candle on Artemis' wick.

"Apollo! Apollo, wait! Stop!" A voice rang out in the forest, echoing against the vertical trees and serenity.

The voices familiarity made Apollo roll his eyes. Snapping his head around, he came face to face with none other than Hermes.

"Did I not send you on to predate my sister?" Apollo grimaced, taking in Hermes panting, tired condition.

Hermes' regular attire, deep brown trousers and a matching wrap to cover his chest were ripping in distressed. It looked like a tiger took their claws to his entire body. His face was dirtied up as well, blackened like a coal miner.

"Yes. That was two days ago, though, sir. A-and I have information." The messenger god breathed out, holding his chest as if he just ran a marathon.

Apollo took a defiant step forward, and another, another, until he was nose to nose with Hermes. Hermes began to sweat at the proximity. "What happened to you? Do not lie or I will kill everyone you love." He puffed in Hermes' face.

Hermes could feel Apollo's voice stronger than he could hear it. His words vibrated the skin on his cheeks and lips. Sending a ting down his spine, alerting his nerves to the threat.

With a nod, "I went through leads where people saw the two last," Hermes gulped, "ended up at this old rest type bed and breakfast—right when I asked the lady about Artemis she said that her and Adonis checked out that morning! So I left...obviously, and then I walk out and guess whose standing out the door WAITING FOR ME?!" He waited for Apollo to guess, when he didn't, he continued, "Damned Hades almighty!"

      Apollo stood up straighter, "What?"

       "Yeah." He nodded, "Supposedly, Adonis is needed in the underworld and that's where he should be at this moment. When I told Hades I had no idea where they were, he gaze me a few scratches and a small burn."

      "Oh, dear." Apollo grumbled, wiping a hand over his face. "We should tell Zeus."

       "What? No, it's not any of our business! Leave it alone, Apollo."

        "My sister is my business! And what do you think will happen when the owner of the underworld finds what he's looking for and a useless goddess? He'll kill her." Apollo turned his body around, strutting back towards his home.

        "Apollo! What are you doing?" Hermes yelled.

        "Saving my sister."

**

     "The rain is pretty." Adonis whispered into the cold air.