chapter sixteen

16 MISERY LOVES COMPANY

     APHRODITE HAD ALREADY MADE IT BACK TO HER HOME IN OLYMPUS.

     The thought of her Adonis tumbling around with Artemis made her stomach clench with disgust. She didn't like to share. Especially since she already had to spare time away from Adonis with Persephone.

     At the moment, the goddess stood in her spacey ball room, eyes glazing over every detail of the fine golden wallpaper covering the walls. An abrupt movement caught her attention.

     Swiftly, Aphrodite swiveled around to glimpse at her servant, Dolius walked briskly towards her master.

     "Your majesty," Dolius bowed once and approached Aphrodite. Aphrodite only menacingly scowled in response. "a guest has arrived."

      Her brows pinched together, "A guest? Not expecting anyone." She trailed off, shoving past Dolius and strutting towards the door with her gowns brushing against the floor.

         On her trek to the door, she heard the scoff come from Dolius. She'd be punished later for that. For now she had attention to be won. Primping her hair a bit, she plastered on a charmed smile and swung open the door.

      Aphrodite, goddess of desire and beauty, master of Dolius and Adonis, gaped at Hades. The god of the Underworld. Standing at her door.

      His memorable grin swam over his cheeks, "Aphrodite, lovely to see you." He whispered, in a swift movement, he leaned his hand down towards Aphrodite's and pulled the back of her palm to his lips. Bellowing an exaggerated smooch from his mouth.

     Gaining back her senses, Aphrodite yanked her hand away and pulled them both behind her back. Away from Hades.

     "What do you think you're doing here?" She practically screamed at him.

     A sigh escaped his darkened lips, eyes tiredly wavering over Aphrodite's form. A curious flint overriding his eyes. She rose a brow.

     "Oh, you've lost weight, have you, my king?" He sarcastically mocked in a lighter girly voice. It seemed so daft coming from the god of Underworld. "Let me in." He demanded. All jokes aside.

      It felt like a switch was lifted. The air tensed and Hades turned into the serious, dim ruler he always was. Aphrodite always thought he needed to loosen up. A night of adventure. Maybe a few nights. Something to loosen the old freight train.

     "I will not allow you in this home." She hissed, folding her arms over her chest. Her head raising high and strong.

     The laugh that poured from his lips, held menace and evil. No happiness or cheer that most laughs normally meant, only bitterness. Hades was bitterness in all it stood for.

    "I won't ask twice, sweets." He smiled evilly. He knew how this would end. And so did Aphrodite. After all there was always only one result and it would be for Hades' benefit.

     Still Aphrodite kept herself high and independent. She was a lot of things and stubborn was most definitely the prominent feature.

     The darkened lips curled downwards into a pouting frown. His hand shot up, before she was able to swat away at it, he pushed the door open wider and stepped inside. Forcefully making her step backwards, stumble more like.