chapter nineteen

19 BLOOD SICK

     THE BLUE SKY FELL DIM. CLOUDS SURFACING OVER THE EXCESSIVE BRIGHT SUN. THE NEW DARKER ATMOSPHERE SEEMED TO HAVE BEEN A RESULT OF APOLLOS PRESENCE.

Artemis felt the words he spoke more than she heard them. Everything became a blur all at once at the realization her brother found her. The one person she trusted and in one moment, one lie, all the trust decimated. Although she wanted answers as to why Apollo lied about finding Adonis all those weeks ago, she was too stubborn to ask.

"Apollo." She gritted the name out like it was just anyone else. No one to her. He was no one to her. At least from now on.

The grin that spread across his face brushed the skin against the goddesses neck. "Why'd you run?" He hissed, his arms roughly pushing her closer to him. To ensure she had no opening to escape.

     "What?"

     "You left me. You left me! No words, no letters, nothing. We're all we have, Art. It's just us." He said, gentleness and love lacing his voice. At the same time Artemis could sense the anger and hurt under-toning ever word he whispered. She almost felt the nerve to cry.

     Hiding her emotions, "Fuck that, Apollo! You don't love me. Not really. So what're you actually doing here, huh?" She spat out, hissing the words like a snake.

     His eyes fluttered shut against her cheek as he panted heavily. She tried to ignore the sting in her head that his close vicinity was causing. The two used to spend every single day together—basically live nose to nose with each other. Like Apollo said, it was always just them. And then Artemis met Adonis. Then it wasn't just her and Apollo. Adonis showed her that there was more than just the four walls her brother supplied. A whole world existed full of all kinds of people. Different people. She needed that. She needs exposure to others. Not just her usual animals and females. Males, too. Things have changed with Artemis, and she only realized with this new sight of her twin.

     "I do love you. Do not say I don't," He snapped angrily. "I'm here because I'm saving your ass!"

"Saving my ass? How the hell are you saving me, you twat?" She growled. Her patience disappearing instantaneously.

Apollo sighed longingly, "The god of the flipping Underworld pretty much has your head on a stake!" He answered lowly.

This was all old news, Artemis thought boredly. She really didnt have time for her brothers games. And to be honest, she'd be fine if she never seen him again. "I'm fine!"

With that exclamation, Artemis elbowed Apollo in the gut and twisted out of his grip. She backed up until there was enough distance between the twin archers.

"Don't you see that I don't need you? Not anymore." She clarified, swallowing the pain flourishing up her throat at the words. Before Apollo had the chance to reply, she hiked up her metaphorical skirt and trekked towards Adonis.

Apollo chuckled from behind her. The sound made Artemis' heart clench harshly against her sternum. The world felt like it was spinning. For her entire life, it was only Apollo. And now she was turning her back on him.

    "Look at you, Artemis. You're a mess," That caught her attention. She halted in her step but didn't bother turning back around to face him. "You cling to anything that gives you an ounce of attention. He doesn't actually care about you. And he sure as hell doesn't love you. Not like I do, sister." As he spoke, his voice became gentle, soft—pitiful. It was destructive.