chapter eighteen

18 FAKE LOVE

HADES STRUTTING TOWARDS ARTEMIS WAS THE FIRST THING THAT CAUGHT BOTH PAIR OF EYES.

The god of the Underworld wrapped his arms around Artemis' neck just as Adonis began pounding harshly on his back. Desperately attempting to pull the attention away from Artemis in that moment. Hades was stronger though and quicker. He simply shrugged back and Adonis went flying to the cold ground. His back aching instantly.

Artemis wriggled in his hold, her feet inches away from the ground. The tight hold Hades had caused her to choke. She was going to die. Hades didn't need her. He needed Adonis. And she was the hostage. Leverage. The feeling of something cold and rigged hit Artemis' clothed back as Hades shoved her harshly against a tree.

When Artemis made a cackling sound of misery, Hades' hold lessened and his arm went to his side. Artemis slumped against the ground, panting harshly for needed oxygen.

"We'll play fair. No powers." Hades announced, loud enough for Adonis to hear. "And none of these." He bent down and unwrapped the bow case from Artemis' shoulder and put it around a tree branch—out of reach.

Artemis whimpered at the action, feeling that same bareness overcome her but she knew she could fight without her bows. Well, she literally had to.

Adonis took that statement as an advantage. Standing up and with a dignified growl, he ran towards Hades and jumped on his back. His stub fingernails scratching and clawing at anything he could get ahold of. Eyes, hair, scalp, mouth, skin. Anything.

At the sound of Hades' pleads and cries, Adonis grinned successfully. It didn't last long though, when Hades pulled Adonis over his shoulder and onto the ground.

Adonis groaned, rubbing at his arm that felt like it'd been pulled out of its socket. Rolling onto his side, trying to recollect himself. He wasn't used to physical fighting. But Artemis was. And surely Hades was. For her, he'd fight. He needed to. Just look at her, she didn't need to stay with Adonis and fight. But she did. Because that's her. Strong, courageous, and stubborn as hell. He envied her more than anyone he'd ever met.

Distracted by his trailing thoughts of the goddess he's been sending all too much time with, he didn't even see Hades jumped on top of Adonis' body. Straddling him, his body so heavy with muscles it felt like Adonis' ribs were about to combust any second.

"Last chance, boy." Hades sang out, pushing more of his weight onto Adonis. The god groaned in agony. But not once would he give up. Especially not for his freedom. Something he took dearly.

"I AM NOT GOING BACK!" He spat out, his breath heaving and uneven.

Hades nodded. Contemplating things in his head. Switching back and forth by what he was about to do. Decisions, decisions. "Very well." And with that Hades curled both of Adonis' wrists in his one hand and pressed them over his head on the ground, the other hand aiming up over Hades' head in the air. What caught Adonis' eyes though, was the sharp glitz of those defined claws on Hades' hand where fingernails began.

Shit, Hades almighty is about to slit my throat, Adonis thought wildly.

If this was what he got for fighting for his goals, then so be it. It was freedom or nothing. Inevitably, nothing meant death. And for Adonis, that'd be okay. He didn't have much in this life. Maybe in the next, he'd have better luck. Someone who actually cared about him. Him, nothing else. Not his beauty or other attributes, but him. Adonis.