chapter twentyeight

28 DON'T POKE THE BEAR

THE DOOR CREAKS OPEN AND LIGHT SHONES IT WITH ITS WAKE.

Artemis doesn't have it in her to turn and watch the guard do the same thing he does everyday. Set tray down, wait for her to finish leave. She lost count how many days it's been, she stopped counting at five.

"Artemis."

That voice. She knew that voice before it even spoke her name. Hesitantly she turned her head and watched as Orion's figure became clear and he crouched next to her.

"Orion-"

"Shh." He pressed his finger between her lips to shush her. "We have to get out of here. C'mon." His fingers wrapped around her wrist and it felt too intimate but distant at the same time.

None of this could actually be happening. Orion is dead. This is impossible. But his touch felt incredibly real.

"Wait." She dug her heels into the cement and stood her ground, "How-how are you here?"

"There's no time, Artemis! We need to leave!" He subtly ignored her question, yanked on her hand and pulled her out of the room.

They race down the corridors, turning lefts, rights, Artemis following Orion like a lost puppy. The odd part is they find no guards. None.

As she waits for Orion to tell her if the coast is clear, she remembers Adonis. He is also trapped, held hostage, close to death. He needs to be saved. The thought of Orion and Adonis meeting makes her stomach twist. Will she have to choose?

But Orion is dead.

"Okay, we're okay." He pulls on her arm but she pushes away and takes a step back. Her eyes staring off at anything but Orion.

"Art, we'll die if we stay."

She shakes her head, clenching her eyes to fight back the tears. "No. This isn't real," She meets his eyes, "You're dead."

     He laughs, tilting his neck back like he used to. The veins bulging, her heart starts to race.

     "Terrible joke! It's in bad taste." He gives her a wink before turning and peaking over a corner.

     "No. I'm dreaming. This is a nightmare!" She yells, choking on air and searching all around her for a way out.

     Orion grabs her face and turns her so she's looking directly at him, "A nightmare? To be with me? Am I a nightmare to you now?" His voice grows frantic as if the answer is the solution to world hunger.

     She shakes his head in his grip, circling her fingers around his wrists to pull him off. It doesn't work.

     "Please. Let me go." She begs, pulling harder, tears fleeting.

     Orion's lips twist up in a condescending grin, he moves forward, Artemis thinks he's going to kiss her until his mouth opens and words echo.

     "You first."

       Two words that mean so much than just words.