chapter thirty five

35 PAYING RENT

     SUBWAYS ARE NOT SOMETHING TO TAKE LIGHTLY.

       Which is most likely the reasoning behind Hermes choosing to take the subway as a form of commute from Artemis' apartment to her new job. He wanted to scare her, and scare her he did.

        She didn't dare sit in one of the failed-to-clean benches that spread down the crammed space. She didn't even hold onto the handles poking out of the subway top. Like a child, she curled into Hermes' side as he gripped on a bench railing with a grin spitting ear to ear.

        "This is worse than when you took me to those alleys." She recalls out-loud. Cowering when a greasy bearded fella flashes her an uneasy glance.

        Hermes shrugs absently. "We've already been in New York for a week, Art, and you still haven't gotten used to the customary looks the locals give?"

        She glares up at him, "I hate you."

      "Good." He smiles sarcastically and she doesn't stop her only smile from washing away the frown. "Remember, the people in New York are tough. Especially in self made businesses. This place you'll be starting today..it's local, and, well, tough."

       "I've been known all of this information, Hermes. Alright? I can handle a couple of tough humans," she giggles the last word in a hushed whisper.

         Hermes inhales sharply and shoots her a look of dismay. "Yeah? Well, may I remind you you are also a human," he mocks her.

        Any humor disappears from her face and replaces itself with a pout.

       "What kind of business will I be doing anyways? Sex-slavery? Stripping? Bartending as a hooker? Gigolo?"

       He shakes his head and harshly spits out a deep chuckle that holds no remorse. "First of all, a gigolo is for a man—"

        "I speak no gender."

          "Second, where did you hear of this vocab?"

        She nudges his shoulder with a smirk, "Come on, now. I lived in New York for a week. I have to of learned something."

         "The job is a surprise." When she groans, he decides to throw in a little hint. "Lets just say, you won't have to adjust. Much."

"I have everything." Aphrodite was breathless as she bristled past the guards whom stood beside Hades' throne room and entered without warning.

Fortunately for Aphrodite, he was not further occupied with Persephone. Instead he boredly watched Aphrodite as she walked in and licked the door behind her. A tote bag pressed into her side with the necessities for resurrection. Watching the door as if he'd been waiting for her.

"Have you been practicing in my absence?" She asked, her attention on the bag as she shuffled all the tools out and onto the large pristine marble table in the center of the room.

Hades suppresses a laugh. "Of course. What else would I be up to? Not like I have an entire world to put in order or anything," he sighs, "Everything, hmm?" He took taunting steps to stand beside Aphrodite and in front of the table.