Chapter 29

Sam's POV

I jolt awake. There's a note on the nightstand which I grab, quickly reading it.
Get out or you'll regret it
"What the...?" I murmur, noticing the sleeping Jace beside me.
Suddenly, I hear a loud sound as the floor quakes. Jace jumps and hurriedly scrambles out of bed.
"I don't know what's going on, but it doesn't sound good," Jace mentions worriedly.
"Yeah. We need to figure it out fast."
Jace grabs a jacket and my arm before leading me down to the main floor.

BOOM

"Was that...a bomb?" I question.
"I think so...Let's get out of here," Jace agrees.
We rush out the door just in time to see more of the house get blown up.
"Holy shit," Jace mutters as we get pushed back by the force.
We roll into the grass further from the house.
"You okay?" I ask.
"I think so," Jace responds, unsure.
"Well, well, well," I hear from behind me, "Looks like you've survived."
I turn to see who it is and instantly recognize my biological parents.
"Look what the cat dragged in," I spat.
"That's not a very nice way to treat your parents," my 'mother' looks at me disappointedly. "Especially when they've got the upper hand."
She gives me an evil smile before Chris and his mate are dragged in front of me.
"Caught these two imbeciles following us and thought you'd like to witness their demise," my father tells me, pulling a gun out of a hidden holster.
I'm suddenly held back by two people and am unable to move.
"Let us go!" I shout.
Jace is being held back too and struggling to get free.

Bang! Bang!

Two shots go off and I see my best friend fall to his knees.
"No!" Amy, Chris' mate, and I scream simultaneously.

Bang!

Another shot goes off and Amy falls silent as she slumps to the ground, a bullet buried deep in her brain.
"And here I was thinking they would be easier to kill," my 'mother' mutters under her breath.
"Helen, I think it's time we leave now," my 'dad' says, looking at my mom.
"Alright, Scott," Helen responds.
They turn around and motion for the guard people to follow.
Jace and I are pushed to the ground as they quickly walk away.
As soon as I'm up, I rush over to Chris.
"Oh my god, Chris, oh my god. I'm so, so sorry. You were like my brother. I wish I could've protected you. You're the bestest friend a girl could ask for."
Tears stream down my face as I continue to apologize to Chris. His blood seeps onto me and I'm soon sobbing.

I turn to where Helen, Scott, and the others went, screaming "You'll pay!!"
"Oh Chris and Amy," Jace quietly says, kneeling down beside me.
"They're in a better place now," he tries to console me.
"Yeah...because of me," I mutter, hating my biological parents more with every passing second.

Whoosh. Whoosh. Whoosh.
I hear above me. Looking up, I see a helicopter with the Evil Squad peering down from safely inside.
"Damn them straight to Hell."
"Or worse," Jace adds.
"Definitely worse," I agree.