13

Lyra (1)

"You seem a little tense."

I turned around and my mother was slowly walking over to me. She could be due any day now.

"I'm not tense."

"Then why are you holding that plate for dear life?" She chuckled. I looked down and she was right. A small crack was starting to form through the plate. I sighed and placed the plate down in the sink, "I guess I am."

"What's wrong?" I couldn't help but smile at my mother's voice.

I bit on my lip. "I almost confessed to Mako." Though my mother has never met Mako, she indeed knew exactly who he was. Especially who he was to me. "And why didn't you?"

I groaned, "I panicked! He makes me feel all of these things when he looks at me and I- I panic!"

"Are you afraid of rejection?" My mother asked. I nodded slowly, "I don't want to ruin anything because what we have is special. Losing that would be worse than rejection."

"Maybe he feels the same way." My mother said while putting her hand on my back. "You two will never be happy if you keep thinking the way you do."

"I am happy, mom. Incredibly happy."

"But you want to feel that with him by your side."

I sniffled, "I cant do it."

My mother gave me a comforting smile, "You'll do it when you're ready. Now let's go set this table because we're hungry." She finished by pointing to her belly. I lightly laughed, "Okay."

Once we were all seated and served at the dinner table, my father began the prayer. "We are grateful for this delicious food, for happiness, for compassion and-"

"I'm not interrupting, am I?"

We all looked up and at the door frame stood a man in fancy Water Tribe clothing. "This is my home, Tarrlok." My father said while standing up. "We're about to eat dinner."

"Good, because I am absolutely famished." Tarrlok smirked, "Airbenders never turn away a hungry guest, am I right?"

My father sighed, "I suppose."

Tarrlok walked over to Korra.

"Oh, you must be the famous Avatar Korra. It is truly an honor." Tarrlok bowed, "I am councilman Tarrlok, representative from the Northern Water Tribe." Korra stood up and bowed to him, "Nice to meet you." Tarrlok took a seat next to Korra. I was on the other side of them with Meelo.

Ikki slid over, "Why do you have three ponytails? And how come you smell like a lady? You're weird."

"Well aren't you... precocious?" Tarrlok responded before turning to Korra, "So, I heard about your adventures in the papers. Infiltrating Amon's rally — now that took some real initiative."

"Oh, thanks." Korra said. "I think you're the first authority figure in this city who's happy I'm here."

"Republic City is much better off now that you've arrived."

I coughed, "Suck up."

Tarrlok sent me a side glare and I patted my chest, "It's a little dusty in here."

"Enough with the flattering, Tarrlok. What do you want from Korra?" My father asked sternly.

"Patience Tenzin. I'm getting to that." Tarrlok said with a sly smirk. "As you may of heard, I am resembling a task force that will strike at the force of the revolution. And I want you to join me."

"Really?"

"What?"

"I need someone who will help me attack Amon directly - someone who is fearless in the face of danger, and that someone is you."

"Join your task force?" Korra thought for a second. "I can't."

We all held surprised faces. "No offense Korra but I thought you would've jumped right on that." I said.

"Me too." My father said lowly.

"I came to Republic City to finish my Avatar training with Tenzin. Right now I just need to focus on that." Korra told Tarrlok.

"Which is why this opportunity is perfect. You would get on-the-job experience while performing your Avatar duty for the city."

"Korra gave you her answer. It's time for you to go."

"Very well. But I'm not giving up on you just yet." Tarrlok stood up from the table, "You'll be hearing from me soon. It has been a pleasure, Avatar Korra."

As I watched him leave the dining room, Ikki waved to him, "Bye-bye ponytail man!"

I stood up from table, "Excuse me. I just need to use the restroom."

I hurried out of the room and approached Tarrlok, "Councilman Tarrlok."

He turned around and forced a smile, "Ah, Lyra is it?"

I kept my stern look, "My father and I would highly appreciate it if you didn't give Korra any trouble. Like she told you, she's focused on her airbending training. She's also on a pro-bending team that will be fighting in the tournament in a few weeks."

Tarrlok smirked, "I don't plan on giving her any trouble."

"She said no."

"We'll see about that... I'm a very persuasive man."

I crossed my arms, "Oh, I'm sure you are."