19

Lyra (1)

Towards the end of the gala, I started to question all the photographers and journalists walking into City Hall. They seemed to be waiting for something.

I looked up to my father with my brows furrowed, "What is all this?"

"I don't know," he responds with the same expression. "but I don't like it."

Mako and Asami, along with Bolin, joined us at our side. Mako and I would sneak awkward glances at each other from time to time.

"It's getting late, Lyra." Kano's voice made me slightly jump. I completely forgot he was there at my side. "My dad didn't want me out this long. I should probably start heading home."

"Oh okay. Do you want me to walk with you?"

My father interjected in our conversation. "I think it's best if she stayed here, Kano."

I didn't protest. Honestly, I didn't want to walk him home. I wanted to stay here. When he realized I wasn't going to say anything, Kano nodded, "I understand, Sir. Goodnight to you both." He bowed to us then turned around and left. I mumbled a bye and watched him leave.

While Kano left out of City Hall, Korra and Tarrlok came walking down. As if on cue, the journalists and photographers rushed toward them, bombarding Korra with questions that I couldn't make out clearly.

"Avatar Korra, you witnessed Amon take away people's bending firsthand! How serious a threat does he oppose to the innocent citizens of Republic city?" One asked.

Korra cleared her throat before answering nervously, "I think he presents a real problem."

"Then why have you refused to join Tarrlok's task force?" Another asked. "As the Avatar, shouldn't you be going after Amon?"

"That's what this is about?!" I whispered harshly to my father. "We have to get her out of there."

My father didn't even glance at me. He simply kept his stare on Korra.

"Well, I-"

"Why are you backing away from this fight?"

"What? No, I've never backed away from anything in my life!"

"You promised to serve this city. Aren't you going back on that promise now?"

"Do you think pro-bending is more important than fighting the revolution?"

"How do you think Avatar Aang would've handled this?"

"Are you afraid of Amon?"

Finally, Korra cracked. "I'm not afraid of anybody! If the city needs me, then... I'll join Tarrlok's task force and help fight Amon!"

Tarrlok placed his hand on Korra's shoulder with a grin, "There's your headline folks!"

Mako, Bolin, and I sent each other a mixture of shocked, confused, and worried glances while flashes from cameras were sent at Korra and Tarrlok. 

>>>

As days went on, Korra's been absent. As have I when it came to Mako and Bolin. I haven't gone to the arena since Mako had told me about Asami. And I haven't seen them since the gala.

I've stayed at home and helped my mother around the temple. I played some games with my younger siblings that did not require airbending; mostly Pai Sho. Honestly, it was nice. I have always been out and about. I didn't realize how much time I spent away from my family.

The moments I've cherished the most since my little vacation from the boys and Korra was my time with my father.

We were currently reading the newspaper together outside the temple on a small bench. It said that Tarrlok's task force invaded a secret Chi blocking training facility and captured many Equalists-in-training along with actual Equalists.

I sighed while slumping my shoulders, "I don't trust this."

"Neither do I." My father agreed. "But, this is what she's decided."

"It's not the right answer!" I declared.

That night while having dinner, I convinced my father to let the radio play. As expected, Korra didn't join us.

"She lost again, daddy!" Ikki laughed. "And I'm only seven!"

I crossed my arms, "I'm a little rusty at Pai Sho. Give me a break little girl!"

My father and mother chuckled.

"You've lost to all of us, Lyra." Jinora reminded me. "Now that is sad."

"Okay smarty pants." I huffed.

"You suck!" Meelo pointed at me with a wide grin.

"Okay, okay," My father says with a smile. "let's give your sister a break."

Our laughs were interrupted when a familiar voice sounded through the radio. "Avatar Korra has bravely answered the call to action. With the two of us leading the charge, Republic City has nothing to fear from Amon and the Equalists!"

I sighed, "I guess another successful night."

"-because Amon is hiding in the shadows like a coward! Amon, I challenge you to a dual! No task force, no Chi blockers, just the two of us tonight at midnight at Avatar Aang Memorial Island! Let's cut to the chase and settle this thing! If you're man enough to face me!"

The room was silent. None of us said a word to each other for a moment. My eyes met my fathers and instinctively, we both stood up.

"I'm going with you."

My father shook his head, "You will stay here with your mother and finish eating your dinner."

"I'm not asking you, dad. I'm telling you." I walked passed them and stopped at the doorway. "Standing there won't stop anything."

My father sighed and looked over at my mother. She shrugged. "Don't look at me, she's your daughter."

"But she's so stubborn."

"She gets it from you."