Chapter 8

Phillip's Pov 

"Are you sure?" Barnum asked as he stepped forward to comfort W.D and Anne. 

"Positive. She never runs off like this, if she intends on going out she would tell us before hand or leave a note." W.D explain as Lettie held on to an almost breaking Anne.

"Okay, well we shall begin the search immediately." Barnum stated as he assigned everyone to certain areas of the city.Everyone moved out swiftly to begin the search for Elizabeth. I grabbed a carriage and headed towards my assigned area; the docks. 

Despite the docks only beginning a few minutes away, the anxiousness built upon each of the horse's trot. I did this. I let go of her hand. I hurt her. I didn't go after her. 

This is all my fault. 

Until I arrived at the docks, all I could do is replay  last night. Her face when she saw the couple. The tears that were almost breaking over the walls she had built. 

When the carriage arrived at the docks, I jumped out of the carriage before it has come to a complete rest and began to scavenge the area. Asking people whether or not a girl had hopped on a ship last night, to which they all replied no. 

I ran from one end to the other, no sign of Elizabeth any where. The ocean crashing against the rocks below. The waves rolling in and out, each one building just like the crushing weight I am feeling knowing that I did this to Elizabeth.  If we weren't all looking for Elizabeth, I would of taken a moment to clear my head, think about things clear. 

Think. 

 Her Thinking spot. 

The train station. 

I sprinted back to the carriage and told him to get me to the train station as quickly as he could, even paying more money to ensure it happened. 

Why didn't I think of that before? 

If it was the other way around, and she was looking for me, I'm sure she would of found me quicker than I am finding her. 

I carded a hand through my hair, roughly pulling at the roots.  The smog layered itself on the roof of several buildings, making all appear the colour of ash. The steam swirled in with the smog, making a Ying and Yang sort of pattern. Indicating that we were close to the station. 

The carriage pulled up parallel to the path. The horses bucked  up, making it unsteady to jump out of right away. They clamed almost immediately  after that, as I got out of the carriage rushing  towards the train platform.

It was loud and crowded as well as having large amounts of steam coming from the trains, making it almost impossible to see. But somehow I managed to make out the outline of a girl.....where a white dress.....Elizabeth. 

I walked over , trying not to startle her, and causally sat down on the seat next to her. 

"I was hoping you would of forgotten that I told you about this." She stated, keeping her eyes fixated on the tracks in front of her. 

"I could never. I wanted to apologize my actions last night Elizabeth. I made a huge mistake and was a complete jerk to you." 

She stayed silent. 

"Elizabeth. I'm truly sorry. Please come back to the museum....come back home." 

"Where is the carriage?" She asked, standing up - still gazing at the tracks a head of her. 

*****

The carriage ride home was eerily silent. Elizabeth sat on one side while I sat on the other. She hasn't even looked at me. 

"Elizabeth? I am truly sorry for last night, and I do hope eventually you will forgive me." I said, looking at her. Her face, one which was usually full of joy and laughter, filled with coldness. 

She turned her head to face my own, her sea green eyes finally meeting mine. A few pieces of her brown hair fell onto her face. Framing it in its own way. 

"You think I don't forgive you?" She asked, her brow raising. " Of course I forgive you. But nothing you say will make me forget about how you made me feel at the theatre last night. I thought that I had finally found someone that looked past the colour of my skin and saw me instead. I was wrong."  

Small tears fell out of the corners of her eyes as she turned away from me. I was speechless, I knew that last night hurt her but  didn't know it hurt her this much.  I didn't speak for the rest of the carriage ride until we pulled out outside of the museum. 

"Elizabeth, I'm still the same person as I was before." I say as she began to get out of the carriage, struggling with her white dress which now had dirt stains around the circumference of her dress.  

"Thank you for the carriage ride, Mr Carlyle." She said, deadpan, as she walked into the theatre. Me following behind. 

"LIZZY!" I heard Anne yell as she ran towards the other girl and embraced her in a hug. W.D. approaching cautiously, as if she wasn't real, until her eventually hugged her himself. 

"Where did you go?" Anne asked, not letting go of Elizabeth. 

"It doesn't matter now, I just needed to think about a couple of things"  She stated, giving me a quick glance before returning her attention to Anne and W.D. 

How on Earth am I going to fix this?

A/N

Short Chapter, I know. School was really long today. Tomorrow's will be longer. 

Hope you have a great day/night. 

Maya