Chapter 24

Anne's Pov

I remained by Lizzy's side for the next three days. Not letting her out of my sight for more than a few minute and even then, I ensured that someone is watching over her and Phillip.

It was scary to look at the two of them. There skin was charred and burnt, Lizzy's hair would have to be cut shorter since at least 2 inches of her hair was fried.

Lettie was currently with me, watching over Phillip. Barnum has informed the Carlyle's of what had happened but the refused to come see their son. So everyone from the circus had decided to take turns at watching over the pair. Making sure than there vitals were stable and that nobody went into shock or something like that. 

"Do you think they will be like this for much longer?" Lettie asked, breaking the eerie silence of the room.

"The doctor said that Phillip should be waking up any day now where as Lizzy will have another couple of days since her injuries were worst." I informed. 

At first glance, the pair seemed to have the same injuries. But when you were closer, it was evident that Lizzy had the worst of the fire and the protestors. 

Nurse came in every hour to change Lizzy's shoulder dressing and coat it with some medicine as well as check on the two of them.

Everyone kept asking me if I knew about Lizzy's scars. To be honest, I had no idea that she had them. She always kept her back covered with a shawl or something, I just assumed she didn't like anything with a low cut back or she was being extremely modest. I didn't have any clue that she had scars. 

I sent Lettie off to get herself some food and water as I began to pace between the two beds, praying that they would wake up soon. 

I mean, Barnum feels like this is his fault. He keeps telling us that if he didn't go on the tour with Miss Lind, then he would of been here to help with all of this. W.D feels like it is his fault because he was the guy to throw the first punch. Lettie feels like it is her fault for not extinguishing the lantern once she was finished with it. Everyone is just finding reasons to blame themselves for what the protestors did to Phillip and Lizzy. 

I raked a hand through my brown wavy hair ( which was a couple of shades lighter than Lizzy's), trying to make sense of the whole situation when I heard a grumble like moan come from the bed on the right. 

Phillip's bed. 

"Phillip?" I half asked, half stated as I sat down on the edge of his hospital bed. His eye lids fluttering open, adjusting to the harsh light. 

****

Phillip's Pov

I slowly opened my eye, adjusting to the brightness of the room - unsure of my surroundings. Once my eyes had fully adjusted to the new room, I focused my eyes on Anne, who was sitting on the edge of the bed. 

Anne began to explain what had happened and where I currently was, speaking slowly and simply - making sure I understood what had happened without making me think to hard.

I raised my hand so I was eye level, in order to see the damage inflicted by the fire. It was covered in soot and ash, the pads of my finger tips were burnt (but had began to heal) and there were a few cuts and scraps. 

When I had finished assessing the damage done to me, one name floated into my mind. 

"Lizzy?" I croaked out, the fire leaving the majority of my body rigid  due to healing. 

Anne looked at the crisp, white sheets before turning her head to the bed next to mine. One which contained a sleeping girl. 

Her skin had serve burns and welts ,which covered her arms and her neck. The ends of the girl's hair had been burnt to a crisp, only holding by a few heathy strands. There were cuts, much like the ones on my hands, over her as well. The main thing that caught my eye was the large bandage which covered the girls left shoulder.

Lizzy. 

How did she end up like this? WHY did she end up like this? I should of received more of the blow than her! 

"How long has she been out?" I asked, anger rising in my exhaustion. 

"Three and half days." Anne muttered as she twisted a fraction of the sheet around her hand. 

I shook my head slowly, trying not to break any skin while doing it. 

Anne and I just sat in silence for at least twenty minutes, maybe more. Just watching Lizzy. 

"You love her. Don't you?" Anne said, moving her gaze away from Lizzy to look me in the eye. 

I waited a little bit, reviewing everything about Lizzy. Everything we have done together, everything we have accomplished together.

"Yes. I love her." I announced in an almost whisper, trying to get my voice back to normal. 

Anne didn't seemed surprised by this, all she did was take my hand and give it a little squeeze, as well as flashing a small smile towards me, before she began to walk away, informing me that she was going to let Barnum know that I was awake.

"Anne?" I called out, attempting to use my normal voice. "Can you do me a favour?"

"Anything." 

"Would you be able to push my bed closer to Lizzy's? I will get out of it to make it easier." I offered.

Anne gave me a genuine smile, happy that someone was now here 24/7 to watch over Lizzy. 

With a helping hand from Anne, I stood up shakily. Holding on to another bed for support. Anne moved by bed closer to Lizzy's, allowing me to be in less than an arms distance of her and came back over to escort me to my bed. 

Once Anne had left, and I was back in my hospital bed, I reached out and lightly held on to Lizzy's burnt hand. Her hand limp in mine, her finger tips touching the crisp sheets. 

"Why haven't you woken up yet?" I asked almost pleadingly. Looking at this amazing girl who was unconscious due to her being her. 

Then the impossible happened. 

Lizzy's fingers interlocked with mine.