Chapter 72

Elizabeth's Pov

I could hear Phillip's heart drop when he saw the emptiness of the room.  His lips parted slightly, but he didn't say anything. Then, slowly, muscle by muscle, saw the sadden anger register on his face. The warmth in his icy blue eyes chilled, his neck turned rigid and his lips thinned into a flat, tight line. 

I picked his cold hand and pressing it to my lips before letting our hands fall to our sides, still intertwined. 

"Phillip?" I questioned as he walked into the room, kicking things across the ground. Letting the noise echo around the room. 

"We have to go find her." He said quickly as he tried to get out of the room swiftly. In response, I stepped in front of him, luckily, as he tripped - falling into me. 

"Hey. Hey!" I raised my voice, slightly, to get his attention. "It is no use going and searching for Hannah when you can barely even walk. You need to rest." 

"No, I need to find Hannah." Phillip pushed himself back onto his feet, wobbling slightly as he attempted to stabilize himself. 

"No. You need to rest, you haven't slept at all for the last day Philip. I'll go looking, just gets some rest." My tone had a sense of urgency to it, I knew Phillip would want to look for his sister but he wasn't in the right state mentally or physically. 

I looked around at the shattered window and all the broken furniture, we can't stay here. I mean if I left and somebody came back, I would not forgive myself ever. Throwing one of Phillip's arms over my shoulder, I helped him out to the carriage ensuring he wouldn't faint on me in the process. Barnum said that he never left my side during the hospital, and therefore meant he probably didn't sleep either. And you could tell, his body was like a stone weight, filled with an ever growing tiredness ultimately making his body heavy. 

The carriage always move faster in the night, I don't know why. But it did. The darkness of the country side slowly faded into that of the lights of the city, the stars slowly disappearing the further we got to the centre of the city. 

Phillip was basically already asleep when I brought him up the stairs, he couldn't even keep his eyes open. I walked as fast as I could up the stairs before knocking hastily on the door in front of me. 

Anne opened the door, her eyes filled with concern as they flickered between myself and Phillip. "Can we stay here tonight?" 

She nodded her head, taking Phillip's other shoulder and helped me placed him onto the sofa, while also instructing W.D, who had groggily woken up, to go get some blankets from the trunk. The moment Phillip's weight was lifted off my shoulders, I could almost feel my body collapse right there. But as much as I wanted to, I pushed back the urge and instead walked over to Anne and W.D. Anne moved expeditiously to get the blanket onto Phillip before returning to see why were had showed up on there doorstep at 7 o'clock at night. I knew that they would have to leave for the circus in a little under an hour, but there was no way I was going to leave Phillip alone in that house.

"What's happened?" Anne inquired, her voice cautious as she debated whether or not to ask the question. 

W.D pulled out a stool for me, which I thanked him for before falling onto the seat. Letting my legs give out. I inhaled the night air, trying to formulate the words to tell them what had happened. I mean I know how to say it but....yeah now I am rambling. "Hannah is gone." I tell them, describing what the house looked like when we arrived back after departing from the circus. 

Anne sucked in a breath while W.D placed his hand onto my shoulder, telling me everything would be okay. 

"That is not even the worse part," I begin, looking over at Phillip to ensure he was actually asleep before lowering my voice to the sound of a whisper, "I know." 

"Know what?" W.D asked slowly, as he answered his own question the moment he asked it, but still looked at me for confutation. I lowered my head, looking down at the ground before I moved my lips, allowing sound to escape.

"I know why Hannah Carlyle was taken."