Chapter 81

Anne's Pov 

Lizzy left during the night.

Phillip left during the day.

And W.D and I are here taking the girls to the circus for practise. 

Neither of us having any idea what is going on or if Lizzy and Phillip are okay. 

Somehow I've managed to keep a straight face, not let onto anyone, especially Helen and Caroline, that there is something going on in the background. 

With those two out of action, I have kind of taken on their role. I mean, I hope Barnum will be here later tonight to be the ringmaster but if not Lettie can lead the show. I just do all the behind the scenes stuff, making sure dance numbers are good, ensuring the roster has been done.  Just all the little things to be done backstage. 

Backstage and up in the air. My two favourite places. 

I felt someone tug on the side of my blue skirt, where a braid of brown hair bounced as she jumped up and down. 

"Can I please do trapeze today? Please Anne?" Caroline pleaded 

"Not yet Caroline." I say, crouching down to her level, "we still have to work on your upper body strength before you can go onto trapeze." Her smile faded the slightest and she bowed her head. "But, " I continued, "How about we go do ropes?" 

Caroline's smile can back instantly, as she ran across the room to beat me to the ropes. Letting the material slide in her hand as she walked around it. Helen was over with woman in gold, they called her. We called her Courtney, Cora for short.

(If anybody is unaware who this is, I have placed a picture below. They didn't give her a name in the film except "Woman in Gold", so I have named her. Thank you  missdancer123456  for the suggestion). 

She was one of our best dancers, often helped Lettie. Then again she helped out wherever she could, whether it be watching the girls or making sure no one looses our heads. It's like that here, everyone makes sure that everyone is okay. 

Like a family. 

As I walked up to the ropes I could hear Caroline bouncing around the silk rope scarf, letting it twirl around her as she spun. One by one, I slowly went over what she had to do, holding her as she did it to make sure she didn't fall. She was only a few feet off the ground, but nevertheless. We went through the trick a few times, to the point where I didn't have to hold onto her in order for her to do a roll over in the air. 

"Anne!" W.D ran up to me, puffing - looking for air. "You are going to want to come see this." 

I called Cora over so she could help keep Caroline occupied while I had a look at what W.D was talking about. His tone was one of surprise, confusion and worry all worked into one small sentence. 

Nobody really turned their heads as W.D lead me to Phillip's dressing room, which I was extremely thankful for. The last thing I need is for everyone to cause a commotion, especially while the girls were here. I mean, the last thing we want right now is those two running off to become "shewok" as Helen called it. 

Lettie waited anxiously at the door to Phillip's dressing room. It wasn't like her to be anxious like this, rocking on her feet and her thumbs twiddling. 

"What is it?" I asked after looking to see who was around. W.D and Lettie exchanged quick glances before pushing the door to Phillip's dressing room open, causing my breath to catch in my throat.

There in the room was a foreigner, someone who we all had no idea how they got there. 

A/N 

Who do you think it is?