Chapter 26

Elizabeth's Pov. 

I decided in that split second that Phillip needed to know everything. Everything that I have been keeping hidden since I joined the circus, everything single aspect of my past life. 

My eyes stayed with his as I slowly moved myself into an upright position, letting my legs swing of the bed. 

"You see, the reason why I understand you so much. Is because I was you." I began to explain. "I came from a wealthy family, all of the wealth coming from my father. Many people didn't agree with my mother and I being, well, different to say the least. "

Phillip watched me intently, not saying a word.  He just sat there and listened. 

"Do you remember when you caught me in the nightmare?" My voice almost faltered as I asked Phillip. He nodded his head lightly in response. 

"I was walking home from the markets, a group of men stopped me and they attacked me. Three pocket knifes. They each took turns at dragging in across my back and hence the scars. I was fourteen." 

After that my father decided that it was best I didn't leave the house. Ever. No markets. No parties. Nothing. I was trapped in my own house. On some occasions when my father travelled away, I might be allowed put in the garden. But it was a rare thing to happen. So being stuck inside, I began to read. My favourite to read was 'Romeo and Juliet.' I don't why, but it gave me hope. 

My mother, on the other hand, sent me up numerous things to do. Cook. Sew. Prepare for parties which we hosted once in a blue moon. The parties would be my only form of social interaction outside the people of my home.

Anyway, I wasn't in to those things. Boring things. I mean you try to be locked away, in a cage, with a needle and thread. It was awful. So I began to dance and tightrope. First it was on the end of my bed, then on window seel and eventually on a piece of wire I took from downstairs. It was a way of escaping all the formalities that my family imposed.

I was okay to live like that. Read during the day, dance and tightrope at night. It was like living two lives to be honest. To my family, I was the dutiful daughter would stay up in her room, like she had been told. But really, I was somebody to get outside - see the world. Have some adventures.

So last December, when I turned nineteen, I snuck out. I went into the market place in order to go to a party I had heard my parents talking about. I was so excited! I mean I hadn't been outside our fence in five years. One thousand, eight hundred and twenty five days! And, yes I kept count.

When I got there, I was shoved into the kitchen to make food. That is what they saw me as, even when I was wearing the white dress. I still got shunned to the kitchen. I was just a waitress. I left the party immediately, running back to comfort of my house.

My father was waiting for me, after discovering that I had snuck out, he wasn't that impressed. He lectured me for a while, having a reaction similar to when he came here. Grabbing my arm, yelling at me while whisky and cigars were still on his breathe.

Three weeks later, my father introduced me to John Kinney, a forty year old man, who became my fiancé instantaneously. I tried to convince my father out of it, but he wouldn't listen to a word I said.

So that night, I crept downstairs and took some money from my father while he was asleep, enough to get a me a train ticket out of there and last me a couple of weeks in New York until I found work somewhere. I packed a small bag of things I needed; clothes, food, blanket and some other things. And I left before dawn, making way to the train station on foot for about a half day. Boarded the first train here. 

Thankfully, Barnum needed acts and I had one. Anne and W.D took me in straight away and I began living my life the way I wanted to. " 

Phillip just looked at me, his voice remaining quiet. I wasn't really sure what to say or do, now that all the secrets of my past life had now been told. But I felt different, I felt free. For the first time in my life, I felt free for real.

A nurse came and called me over, telling me that the doctor wanted to discharge me today and needed me in his office to sign the paperwork. I made my way out of bed slowly, the skirt Anne had brought me touched the ground as my feet planted themselves on the cold floor. 

The nurse held onto my in-bandaged shoulder, guiding towards where I was meant to be going. I looked over my shoulder, back at Phillip. Hoping he would say something before I left the room. 

He didn't. 

I don't really know what he was meant to say but I couldn't help feel a tinge of disappointment, and confusion.

****

Phillip's Pov

When Lizzy had finished telling me her story, I was absolutely speechless. I didn't know what to say.

I mean for weeks and weeks , this amazing girl had been helping me with my family problems. Helping me escape from the same old part I had to play. Helping everyone become a team, become a family. 

And here she was, hiding all of her story just so she wouldn't burden others with her pain.  Keeping all her secrets buried to help us, to help me. 

The nurse came and took Lizzy away to the doctor's office. I had been discharged early today but i hadn't told Lizzy because I knew if I did, she would make me leave.

I should of said something. I don't know what I would of said, but I should of said something. I cursed myself for being so....me. 

Me. 

Lizzy kept this hidden from me because of Hannah, my parents and everything that they do to us...to me. 

I couldn't let her experience that. 

If we were to be in a relationship, she would be exposed to that everyday. For the rest of her life. And no matter how hard we tried, they would never leave us alone. Never leave her alone. I would be taking her back into the life she had only just escaped from. 

I couldn't do that to Lizzy. Even if it meant possibly losing the one person in my life that meant everything to me. Losing the girl who I love. 

So I picked up the coat Barnum had brought in for me, slinging it over my shoulder before  exiting the hospital. 

Leaving my red hat on Lizzy's bed.