Chapter 19

Elizabeth's Pov

I fiddled the pins in my hands as I began to place them into my blue wig. I was shaking, not from the cold air which had begun to set in but, from my reaction to Phillip before. 

I was disappointed that he didn't say anything more? 

I mean what is wrong with me?!!? I can't have him yet I continue to lead myself and him along as if we could make it work. 

It would never work. I am who I am and he is who he is. And not matter how hard I try to tell myself that it could be different, it never will be. 

I placed on a purple costume tonight, one I had made a couple of weeks ago. Anne and W.D were my family and families stand united against everything which is thrown at them. So I decided it was time to look the part. 

It was fairly similar to Anne's. Purple with some gold accents and netting around the edges to avoid rope burn. I curled my hair up into some eccentric and exaggerated curls as well as apply some light make up. My blue wig was dyed so that pink highlights swirled through it; It was part Gray and part Wheeler. 

I looked at my self in the mirror, properly. I had changed so much since I left Pennsylvania. I was taller. My facial features were probably more defined, my jawline still as evident though ( not that I minded). I had broad shoulders that finally fit the muscular yet elegant figure of my body.

A knock woke me from my trail of thought. I looked up in the mirror, in order to see who was at the door.  Phillip waited in the door, dressed in Barnum's red jacket.

"You're on  five" He said with his signature smile. I just nodded before continuing to pin my curls up. 

It was my first night back performing since the injury and I didn't know who was more nervous; myself or W.D. 

I wrapped a light blue scarf around my neck, letting the elongated pieces of excess fabric flow behind me. 

I was on trapeze tonight, nothing to strenuous. Just holding onto Anne's hand before being flipped to W.D and then onto my own trapeze. 

Like I said, nothing to strenuous. 

I could see Phillip waiting behind stage, watching each act. Making sure that nothing was going to happen that was not planned. 

I thought that maybe, even for a split second, he looked up to see me. His wavy hair tousled back and his eyes shinning like they did when we first met. 

I tapped on my head like five times. 

"Get your head it the game Lizzy!" I cursed at myself as I stood on the edge of the platform, waiting for Anne to be in the right spot. 

I jumped, my gold boots leaving the platform deck. 

I always loved the feeling of free falling, everything and everyone gets drowned out. Anne latched onto my hand as she swung me to W.D and in an instant the segment was over.  

It was time for the closing number, performing a difference dance to a song represented us. I hid myself in the back, hiding behind all the other performers. I don't know why, but I just didn't feel like being seen tonight. 

I know people are watching me from all around but I just don't feel like socialising with anyone. I had butterflies in my stomach for the whole performance, must just be nerves?  

"So Come ALIVE!!!!" 

Everyone sang as both cheers and protests erupted from the crowd. We held our positions for a few more seconds before clearing off the stage, letting Phillip talk to all the audience as they left. Advertising tomorrow nights show.