Chapter 11

Elizabeth's Pov ( The Next day)

The market place was extremely busy, people bustling in and out of store fronts. W.D went off to do some shopping at the farmers market while Anne and I whisked away into a dress store in order to find something I could where tonight. 

I couldn't wear my white gown, it just reminded me of my father, while my white/beige dress ,with black detailing, now had a brown ring running around the circumference of the dress. I stated that I would just where this one but Anne said I needed a dress for tonight that wasn't one I got from my past.  

The seamstress, who introduced herself as Catherine,  came in and began measuring me for my dress. As well as holding up different colour swatches to my neck in order to find a colour that would complement my skin.  One the way here, Anne explained that this is the only dress shop and seamstress which is accepting and open to people of colour....people like us. 

My eyes trailed Catherine as she skated around her shop, looking for the perfect dress. She finally came back with probably the most beautiful dress I had ever seen.  It was gold, a colour someone like me wouldn't really wear, with leaf like embroidery as well as having a small trail. The sleeves were short but made from a material which made it look like it was floating.

Catherine held it up to me and Anne had to speak for me since I was just lost for words

"Thank you Catherine, how much would you like for it?" Anne said as she opened my little purse. 

Catherine said a small figure, the price not comparing to the actual gown. Anne paid as well as adding a little extra for Catherine. 

Catherine wrapped the dress up and placed in into a box before we said farewell and walk out of the store.  We caught up with W.D before heading back to the apartment. 

It was my turn to prepare dinner for the three of us tonight and I was making rice with a couple of vegetables in it as well as making tea. And for afterwards, I had splurges on some Jam and I was going to attempt to make a sweet dough. 

Once everything was on, I went over to the window which over looked the city. I could hear the soft-ish snoring of W.D echoing from his bedroom while Anne sat on the sofa reading a book which Lettie gave her called a "Tale of two cities." 

The afternoon sun had set in and the smog had begun to die down as the workers slowly left work one by one. Like ants leaving the nest one by one. 

I  wasn't planning on eating  anything. I was just way to excited for tonight. I mean I finally get to go to the theatre!!! Something I have always dreamed of doing. I get to sit down in a seat ( unlike Miss Lind's performance) and watch the whole show. 

I had finished cooking and severed everything up while I called out to Anne and W.D before running into my bedroom to get changed into the gold gown.