Chapter 65

Elizabeth's Pov 

I left Hannah alone with Phillip after  Hannah had explained that she was unaware of what Lillia was planning but was told to keep her eyes open. They deserved some time together after everything that had happened. I slowly made my way back towards the room which Phillip was staying in, in which I could only assume that was one of the many guest rooms in Countess Adele's manor. 

I quietly pushed open the door, pressing my thumb against the second hinge to stop it from squeaking.I slowly peered my head inside to see W.D and Ailsa talking and laughing together, her fiery red hair moving with her as she laughed....as well as W.D's eye dark brown eyes following the movement of her hair. Anne, on the other hand, was sitting a few inches away from the pair and had begun reading my book. Somehow, she managed to look up at the right time and catch my eyes as I silently called her out. She quickly excused herself, though I am not sure W.D or Ailsa really heard  but nevertheless they still acknowledged her leaving. 

"Can we go for a walk?" I asked as she closed the door behind her. Anne must of caught a glimpse of my guard falling as she read into the hastiness of my tone, realizing there must be something wrong. We both quietly made our way downstairs and picked up our coats before heading outside into the chilly weather. Unlike at home where it had begun to thaw out, here was still frosted and frozen. 

There seemed to be the outline of a path engraved in the snow which lead us further away from the manor and towards a frozen lake. Anne and I didn't dare to walk out onto the lake, it managed to radiate unstableness and the possibility of hypothermia if one was to walk upon its surface. 

"How did your meeting with Hannah go?" Anne inquired as we both stared at the winter wonderland painted in front of us.

"Better than expected." I admitted, I was going to begin to talk again but it eventually trailed off into a series of mumbles instead. 

"You're mumbling." Anne stated before she turned, "What's wrong? Do you not believe what Hannah said?" 

"I believe her, but I feel like there is something more that we are missing." I had had a feeling of dubiousness about the whole story since Hannah mentioned it, something just wasn't adding up correctly and it stressed me out that I didn't know what it was. Maybe I was just overreacting, dreaming up something that isn't there but even through the minimal amount of conversation we had, there was something missing. Hannah was hesitant, thought about her words before she spoke them...as if she was hiding something. 

I gave a little shudder as I wrapped my arms around my torso, trying to maintain the heat inside my coat. You could see my sigh in the cold, forming itself into a tight ball before expanding out into the environment. "But that isn't what I needed to talk about." I admitted to Anne, plopping myself down on the cold snow, causing water to graze my coat. "Hannah said that Miss Griffin was planning something, something big. But we are unsure of what exactly that is." 

Anne slowly sat down onto the ground next to me, placing her arm around my shoulder. "What ever it is, we will face in head on and solve whatever problems they try to throw at us." 

I casually turned my head to face Anne straight one. Taking a massive deep breath as I formed the sentences I wanted to stay in my mind.  "That is the thing, I need you to promise me something." 

"Anything." She quickly replied. 

"I need you to promise me that if it comes down to it, you make sure that Phillip is safe and unharmed. "

Anne's face morphed from her calm composure to that of confusion. The snow behind her lighting up these features. I took from her expression that I need to elaborate  a bit more. "Look, if it comes down to another situation like the fire, save Phillip first. I would never be able to live with myself if anything happened to him and I could of prevented it." 

"What brought this on?" 

I admitted to Anne that I have been thinking and debating myself constantly about this since we received the telegram about Phillip. I mean, in all the stories which I have read the prince always saves the princess, the boy saves the girl. And I think it is time we change that. But I am not doing this to be selfless or brave. I am doing it because it hurt me physically to think about him being hurt. I actually means it hurts me, I feel a numb throb in my chest and I have to restrain tears because I don't want him ever to be hurt or harmed. Especially, if I can prevent it. Like I said to him on the balcony, back in Pennsylvania, I will bear it so they don't have to.

The silence between us was long and excruciating, Anne not answering after my explanation.  

"Anne", I say in an almost painful whisper. "Please. Promise me that you will make sure that he is safe." 

The wind steals my breathe afterwards, taking it somewhere else as well as taking away the secret promise. The silence remained, the sound of a formation of gushing wind was all to be heard. 

"Anne. Please." I pleaded, resting my head onto her shoulder. 

"I promise". 

A/n( Important info)

OMG guys I am loving school holidays, I mean I finished a book that I have been meaning to read in forever!!! 

AND I am excited to announce, that tomorrow night ,alongside the update for 'One Heart, I will be realising the prologue and chapter one of my new "The Greatest showman" book!!!! It will be one Anne and Phillip but it will not be like the movie, while still containing some elements of it. I AM SOOOO EXCITED!!!! I have been planning this for like a month now and been doing ,excessive, research but it is all finally coming together and I am just soooo excited. Did I mention that I am excited? 

Random question of the day 

*If you could only eat one food for the rest of your life, what would it be? 

Mine would be sourdough. Idk why but I am just obsessed with eating sourdough, my fav combo is sourdough with ricotta cheese, strawberries drizzled in honey. It taste a lot better than it sounds.

Cannot wait till tomorrow night! 

Love, Maya