Chapter 60

Elizabeth's Pov 

The bleeding ink dot finished the set list as I settled back into the chair. My hair had fallen out of what ever mess I had put it in earlier and now hung loosely around my shoulders. It was growing longer, slowly, and now was just below my shoulder blades. I had to cut it several times to attempt to get the burnt hairs off as well as the split ends from my hair being so dry. But now, it was finally beginning to grow back to normal. 

I begun to pay attention to the ticking of the clock echoing through out the room. It's metal work ticks were similar to the sounds of the industrial city inside the quiet room. I ended up packing up my things that I needed for the rest of the day and leaving for the circus, escaping the closure of the house. 

Today was different than other days. The sun was out, beginning to melt all of the snow and signalling that the end of Winter had come. The greenery had begun to pop out and those who lost their leaves during the winter had begun to regrow. I would usually talk to Phillip about the scenery or even about the most randomness of things. But the silence scared me because it spoke the truth; right now I am alone. Like not completely alone, I had Anne and W.D at the circus. But in some ways I was. Phillip is kind of my other half, the one I was destined to find. Annnd now I am sounding like one of my books. 

The carriage didn't take as long as I expected to get to the circus, must of been from the absence of ice and snow. I waited outside out the tent for a little while.

Deep breathes Lizzy, you have got this. I mean all you have to do is run the show. Barnum is coming later on this evening and you just have to do everything until then. Easy. Right? I tried to re-assure myself despite the bundling nerves inside. I closed my eyes, trying to 4 trick Anne showed me to help with my panic attacks. 

I inhaled, filling my lugs with air for four counts. Held the breathe for four counts and then exhaled for four counts. 

And I did that four times, big surprise right? 

Okay Lizzy, you have got this. 

I pulled opened the flap of the tent, to see the usual practise rehearsal. Lettie running everyone through new choreography, walking them through move by move. Anne and W.D were on the trapeze, doing the new trick that they had made the other day. 

Everything was running smoothly, as it was suppose too. Until someone called out my name, letting everyone know that I had arrived. Pretty soon, most of the performers had gathered around and were asking questions about everything to do with tonight's show.  I couldn't even make out one word, all the voices just merged into one. Blending each question into another, making it impossible to decipher. 

"Okay" I said, using my loud voice a little bit, just a little bit. "The set list will be posted in a few minutes. Barnum is running the show but will be arriving a little later this evening. Phillip will be back in a little over a weeks time. The wedding ceremony to make our marriage official will be in the week after. Any more questions?" 

I took the sound of the rushing air around Anne as she swapped trapezes as a no.

"If you could all excuse me, I have some other things which need to be prepared for the show." I said politely as I broke through the crowd and made a, not at all obvious run, for my dressing room. I quickly closed the door behind me.

 How does Phillip do this every night? 

I quickly pulled the crumbled set list out of the pocket of my dress and hung it up outside, and begun to review everyone's acts.  The knife throwing was spot on, as it has to be. Lettie's new dance worked perfectly with everyone, bringing everyone's individual talents into the dance without repeating anything we have done before. Anne and W.D new trick was visually and technically amazing. Everything was accounted for except for one act. 

"Lettie?" I called out as she walked over to me. "Is this everyone? Were missing one act." I confided quietly. 

"Sweetie, I think that is you." Lettie chuckled as she patted my shoulder in re-assurance before walking away smiling to herself. 

Of course, I forget myself. I began to laugh at my forgetfulness which was quickly ended as the mail man entered the tent.  Re-composing myself, I walked over to him and took the letter, thanking him for bringing it in.  I undid the wax seel quickly as Anne walked over to see me as I read the letter. 

"Who is it from?" Anne asked as she dabbed a piece of cloth along her forehead, picking up any residue of sweat from her practise. 

"Charity." I say, almost defeated and unsure what to do. 

"Barnum's sick with the cold. He can't do the show tonight."