Chapter 71

Elizabeth's Pov 

We all began to head over to the circles a few blocks away, I had only managed to get around 6, maybe 7, steps away from the cathedral before Charity, Helen and Caroline began to drag me across the road, yelling at the rest of the group that I would arrive later. 

"Sorry, what is happening?" I inquired politely, I seem to be asking that question a lot these days - it almost feels like I am completely unaware of everything that is going on. 

"Well, after you saved Helen, Barnum and I want to buy you a dress." Charity stated, I went to argue back  to say that it was not necessary - I had plenty of dress, some ripped, stained while others were burnt, but I had plenty, but the look I received from Charity was one that told me to shut my mouth and also caused the girls to giggle lightly.

 The dress store was so unfamiliar. It was nothing like Katherine's. The dresses were placed with all the newer styles at the front while some were hidden in the back, the odd ones, those considered out of fashion.

Helen and Caroline ran towards some of the most elegant ball gowns I had ever seen, but despite their beauty - I didn't fancy them. They seemed to extravagant,  to Modern, to similar to all the dresses everyone else wore these days. 

I slowly made my way up to the back of the room. It was quiet easy to tell where they kept the dresses which were out of style, apparently. They tend to be in dark corners, hidden away from the rest of the world. I flicked through the dresses, while receiving disapproving looks from some ladies at the front of the store. However, I couldn't tell if it was a look was in regards to my burnt and stained dress or the colour of my skin. Most likely a mixture of both. 

There were several colours on the rack, some patterned but many were dark and mysterious colours. People these days preferred to wear light colours as in almost white pale pinks and colours of straw. I like darker colours, for two reasons. 

1. They tend to complement my skin and hair better than the pale pastel-ly as well as I do like the way the look. 

2. I stand out in the crowd. 

I found on, smothered in between several dresses. Almost as if it was meant to be hidden. It was this amazing navy blue colour with some frills around the collar, adding a degree of formalness to a simple dress. But even with the frills and decals, it was still simple. I could wear this to the circus or I could wear it at a function. 

Charity wandered over when she noticed me admiring the dress

Charity wandered over when she noticed me admiring the dress. She didn't even ask if that was the one I wanted, she somehow just knew. And, somehow in a flash, she paid for it and I was placing the new dress on. I must admit the back of the dress was quiet difficult to do up but after several struggles, those being miraculously hitting myself in the face, I did managed to lace up the back. 

I walked out of the dressing room, my hair hanging loosely around the shoulder blades after falling out and the girls stopped what they were doing and ran over to me, telling me I looked like a princess. I don't know what princesses they had been looking at, but last time I saw a princess, or a description of a princess, calf boots, bruises and a hot head were not in the description box.

With both girls attached to my arms, we managed to get to the circus not too long after the others - with me thanking Charity for ninety nine percent of the time.  I slowly walked in my new dress catching everyone's eye even though I was complete silent.  Phillip had that sort of smile on his face, like the one I catch him with when he looks at me through the mirror or when he thinks I don't know that he is watching me. 

"Lost for words are we Phillip?" Lettie cackles as the rest of the performers join in with the laugh

"Lost for words are we Phillip?" Lettie cackles as the rest of the performers join in with the laugh. Phillip just smiled more, running a hand through the back of his hair before shrugging, admitting defeat. 

"You two should go home and rest, you have been through a lot these last couple of days." Barnum announced as he entered the room, causing the laughter to slowly fade out as they all payed attention. 

"Are you sure? I don't mind staying tonight." I say, brushing a few strands out of my face. Barnum instantly rebuffed this, pushing us out of the door and telling us to go home. 

After being forced into a carriage by Barnum, Phillip took my hand in his. "The dress looks lovely by the way." A slight tint of redness came into his cheeks as he recalled the conversation, or more of the teasing, from Lettie and the performers. 

"Thank you." 

I felt a wave of tiredness take over as I slowly drifted off to sleep against Phillip's arms and just as I was about to be fully consumed by sleep, I could feel his breath slowly becoming uniform - having a pattern and therefore indicating he was asleep. 

****

I jolted awake from the sudden stop of the carriage, Phillip did as well. We both, sleepily, got out of the carriage and began to walk towards the door of the house. 

One normal night. Thank the stars  I thought to myself as I supported some of Phillip's weight and her supported some of mine. 

Yeah............................I spoke too soon. 

I can tell you, nothing wakes you up more than seeing your front door with a busted lock and chunks missing - allowing you to peer into the dark home. 

"Hannah" Phillip gasped in an almost whispered shock as he began to run into the house. I quickly followed him as we both made our way to where she was staying. On the way we could see paintings and plates and.... oh no they didn't! My book case in the sitting room had been completely demolished   books were everywhere. 

 Bigger picture Lizzy!

 I continued to run, catching up with a stasis Phillip. Just standing still in Hannah's doorway, I peaked over his shoulder and really wished I didn't. 

The window was smashed and any furniture was all over the floor. Things had been pulled apart bit by bit. 

And Hannah was gone. 

One normal night, That is all I asked for. 

A/N {PLEASE READ:D) 

Guys I am sooooo happy to announce that we are close to 100K reads!!!!!! I would like to thank all of you of you for your endless support!!!! As you all know this is my first ever book i have wrote on Wattpad, so i am a newbie to say the lest. :D

However that being said, if anybody would like to recomend something to do in order to celebrate getting 100k reads, please let me know. I would really love to do something to celebrate.

Thank you all for everything.

Until next time. 

Love, 

Maya