Chapter 13

Anne and W.D ran home to get me a bag containing everything I would need for two weeks. Most of my things were here already but a few of my clothes were still at home as well as some other things. 

I had Caroline and Helen braid my long hair, both giggling in excitement about me staying with them. Charity and Phillip had gone outside to discuss something, they had closed the door which made it really hard to listen in from my bed. 

The pain had gone down and I think if I don't move it or put any weight onto it, it won't hurt like it did before. Mrs Barnum had made a splint for me but said she would make a better one as well  once we were at her house. 

"Umm Excuse me Caroline or Helen? But do you think you could get the book that is in that chest over there for me?" I asked. 

This should be fun...not being able to move for the next two weeks.

Helen ran over to opened the trunk and pulled out my copy of "Romeo and Juliet" but her eye caught onto the other thing I had stashed in there. 

"This dress is beautiful." She gawked as she let her fingers glide over the material. 

Caroline ran over to see what Helen was fussing over before she gasped and stated that I had a princess dress. 

"Are you going to bring this as well?" Helen asked, her green eyes pleading for me to say yes. 

I nodded, looking back up at the ceiling. The dress I wore to the theatre while I was with Phillip. The dress I wore when I was called the 'help'.

The two girls closed the lid and sat on top of it, ensuring that they would not leave the "princess" dress behind.  

Everybody came back into the room not long after. Anne and W.D had returned with my bag and it was officially time for me to go to the Barnum's house for two weeks. 

W.D hugged me while Anne kissed me on the cheek and informed me that she would be visiting two to three times a week.  All the performers had stuck their heads in to say goodbye to me. 

Everyone acted like I was leaving for good even though I was only out for two weeks. 

"Girls. There is a carriage waiting outside, do you want to start making your way towards it?" Mrs Barnum kindly asked the two. 

Caroline jumped off the chest while Helen was reluctant to, worrying that if she left the dress would be left behind. She informed everyone as she left to make sure that the chest was in the carriage. 

No, no. She literally informed everyone. Helen walked up to everyone in the room individually telling them to make sure the chest was on board.  

W.D smiled at her before going to pick up the chest and followed the girls down the stairs, Helen skipping happily now that the dress was on its way to her house.  

Phillip carefully picked me up, placing an arm underneath my knees to hold me. I wrapped one of my arms around his neck, resting my head on his shoulder as a sudden wave of dizziness erupted my vision.

Phillip placed me carefully into the carriage as Charity lightly placed my foot onto the seat across myself. Helen slid in next to me as Caroline sat across, next to my foot. Charity sat next to Helen while Phillip sat next to Caroline.

At first I ignored the elephant in the room, placing my head on the side of the carriage and closing my eyes, realising my tiredness.  

Then my mind began to function again. Phillip was in the carriage. Why was Phillip in the carriage? I kept my eyes shut, it was the only way for me to avoid staring at Phillip for the whole ride there. 

Helen and Caroline chatted about anything and everything - ballet, princesses (they left out my dress thankfully), me staying - before growing quiet. 

I slowly blinked, opening my eyes and allowing them to adjust to the lighting in the carriage. I felt a small weight on my arm as Helen was fast asleep, snoring quietly. 

Looked over to Caroline who was doing the same thing on Phillip's arm. I gazed up for a second, our eyes meeting like they have a dozen times before, as he gave his signature smile and a small shrug with one arm. 

Mrs Barnum smiled as we pulled out in front of her house, lightly shaking both girls to wake them. Both, still half asleep, got out of the carriage, without falling, and began to walk inside. Phillip having to carry me once more. 

"Can Elizabeth sleep in our room tonight mum? Helen and I can share a bed?" Caroline asked as she rubbed her eyes. 

"Only for tonight partner, then we will get her a room of her own okay?" Mrs Barnum replied sweetly. 

Both girls almost squealed in response as they lead Phillip up the stairs to their room. Helen ran in front, clearing off her bed to allow me to be placed on it with nothing hurting my ankle. 

"Thank you Phillip." I say as he walked out of the room, wishing all of us a goodnight. 

"Helen" I whispered, beckoning her over. "What's Phillip doing here?" I asked, keeping my voice down as well as keeping an eye on the door. 

"Didn't you know? He lives here now. Well half here." She began to explain. "His parents kicked him out of his apartment once they out about him associating with the circus. Mum and Dad let him stay here, but he sometimes stays at the theatre as well. Dad gave him a room there as well." She said, her tiredness catching up with her as she yawned three times during the explanation. 

"Okay Partners. Time for bed?" Mrs Barnum said as she walked in the room, her voice filled with playfulness. 

The two girls jumped into bed as Charity read them a story.... Cinderella I think it was called. I had read the story when I was little myself, around Helen's age. I remembered it was my favourite, something about it just gave me a bit of hope. 

The two fell asleep straight away as Charity placed the book back onto the shelf, walking over to me. 

"I'm in the room at the end of the hallway, if you need anything don't hesitate to get the girls to come get me." She said quietly. I smiled in reply, thanking her for letting me stay. 

She left the room a few moments after that. The room was sleepily silent until Helen spoke, her voice drowsy like. 

"You know. You remind me of Cinderella and Phillip reminds me of Prince Charming." She stated before her little snores began to occur again. 

Phillip and I?

Prince Charming and Cinderella? 

If only that could happen.