Chapter 12

Elizabeth Pov

I didn't go up to my dressing room straight away. I hid in the shadows until I knew Phillip had left. I was still crying, on the brink of sobbing, but I kept it as quite as possible.

It really broke my heart to do this to him. And I know that's how everyone feels when they are pulled apart from the one person they truly care about. I mean that's what happened in "Romeo and Juliet". But I felt broken. Nothing felt right anymore.

Once I had heard the doors of the museum closed, I tried to dry my tears and moved into my dressing room. "Romeo and Juliet" sat on the vanity. I honestly don't know what came over me, but I picked to book up and threw it across the room. All it did was remind me of him...of Phillip. After some more crying, I decided that I needed to go home to Anne and W.D. as Anne is probably up waiting to hear from me. 

Wiping my face with the edge of my tee. All the makeup I had so elegantly placed on came off in a swift motion. I placed the gold dress in the little trunk in the room, safely cushioning it for another day...another time, along side "Romeo and Juliet". 

Wrapping the black shawl tightly around my shoulder, I ran out of the museum and began to walk home. The cold air setting in as the moon rose up in the sky. 

****

When I got home, W.D was already fast asleep - thankfully. Anne quickly moved over and wrapped her arms around me as she could see the residue of tears on my face. 

For the first time, I told Anne the WHOLE story. From beginning to end. About what how he stayed with me to make sure I was okay, what happened in England, Miss Lind's performance, my father.....tonight. 

I'm pretty sure I cried for the majority of it while Anne went through phases of wanting to kill Phillip until she finally understood what I did. 

We sat there for a bit, my head resting on Anne's shoulder. She had gone and grabbed the jar of jam as well as two spoons, giving us something to do in the silence. 

As I finished a spoonful of jam, I finally spoke up. 

"Do you think I did the wrong thing?" I asked, my voice cracking from all the crying. 

"I don't know. But how about you get some sleep?" You have had big day." Anne said as she removed the spoon from my hand and pulled a blanket over me.

I don't remember much before blackness consumed me. 

****

We went to the museum straight away in the morning. Anne staying along side me so I wouldn't have to be alone. 

It took me a little while this morning to remember why I felt so awful, then the memories from last night came back. 

Barnum had left with out even saying goodbye, just picked up everything and left to spend time with Miss Lind. 

The perfect Miss Lind. The Swedish nightingale. Barnum's newest act, Barnum's main act now. 

We practised a new trick today with everyone. W.D would hold onto my legs as he threw me to Anne. I would miss her hand, then fold my hands across my chest before falling into the arms of the other performers. Then they would throw me up into the air where Anne would catch me and then swung me down onto the ground to do my signature "Y" pose before continuing with the dance.

W.D insisted that we practised it repeatedly, until we knew that nothing would go wrong with the trick. 

Phillip lurked around backstage, attempting to for fill his role as the new Barnum. He ran around helping everyone get ready for the upcoming show.