Chapter 33

Elizabeth's Pov

I watched one tree morph into another as the carriage moved quickly on the dirt road, Phillip's hand remaining in mine. 

I was tempted to ask Phillip around a dozen questions about the girl in the market place. I mean he had never mentioned anybody by the name of Megan Blake, nor had I even heard the name before. And me being me, in my nervous rambling, have just agreed to go to her families house to have dinner tonight.

I have never been to a formal dinner party since I was fourteen. I mean what am I meant to wear? How am I meant to act around these people? Are they like Phillip's parents? Not accepting of those who have a difference appearance? What am I going to do?

The worry on my face was probably evident since I my hand got a reassuring squeeze from Phillip. He didn't say anything, just let me know that he was there - ensuring I wasn't getting too lost in my own thoughts.  He was getting pretty good at that, knowing when to pull me back to reality.  I don't know why but when he was with me, he just made the world seem more colourful. 

We pulled up at the cottage, Phillip taking my bag inside while I stood outside just for a couple of seconds longer to admire the house. I ran inside, catching up to Phillip who was placing my bag onto my bed. 

"I will let you unpack." He said before sliding out of the room, shutting the door behind him. 

My own room. Not one which was a cage but one where I could be me without worrying about any repercussions form my parents....from anyone.  I began to my suitcase, placing all my things out into there new spaces. Walking over to the bookcase, I placed my battered copy of  "Romeo and Juliet" onto the new shelf. Starting my own collection. 

Once everything was unpacked, I couldn't help myself. I went over to the tightrope and felt the wire fall beneath my feet. Feeling calm and that everything was falling into place. I did a couple of little tricks, very basic ones like a small jump or handstand, hearing the music of the circus fill my mind. 

I quickly dismounted the tightrope as I realized that we would have to leave for the Blake's in a little less than an hour and a half. I went through the few dresses I owed, trying to pick out something to wear. I left my fingers graze over each of the different materials before I finally found one.

I chose to wear the gold dress I wore to the theatre, or was mean to wear. It took me a while to get into the dress and lace it up in the back, but I managed. I decided to leave the majority of my hair out tonight, the front pieces being pulled back and pinned to keep it off my face. I picked up my black shawl, which probably clashed with the dress, and wrapped in around my shoulders in attempt to keep the winter night's air away from my skin.

I walked downstairs into the living room, to where Phillip was tying his shoes, and stood in front of him. His icy blue eyes soon met mine as he smiled, holding out his arm for me to take.  We walked to the carriage, Phillip helping me in, before taking off towards the Blake's house. 

*****

We waited on the door step, the lights on the street being the only source of light other than that coming from the house. 

Megan opened the door, greeting both of us, inviting us inside. The fire provided the house with a great deal off warmness, juxtaposing that of the winter storm outside. Megan gave us a tour of the house as well as introducing us to her parents. I paid attention to some of it , but all I could hear was the sound of blood rushing to ears and my heart beating quickly. I kept my arm around Phillip's as well walked, ensuring that I would not fall over while in the heals.

We all went back into the living area, as Mr Blake poured us all drinks, while telling a very eventful story. He swung his arms out to illustrate to Phillip, who was sitting on the couch opposite to me, something to do with the story, knocking my arm just as I raised my glass. Spilling champagne all over my dress.