Chapter 28

Phillip's Pov

We boarded the train to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; praying that we would get to Lizzy before she did something irrational. We had all sat in silence for a while before Anne and W.D fell asleep.

I watched the scenery change from the industrialised city into the country side as it faded into the darkness of the night.

I still couldn't believe that Lizzy just left, then again that is exactly what I did to her.....

But to go back to the life she hated? One where she would have to give up everything she loves. To become the dutiful, obedient wife she fought so hard to except? To marry that man? One which she didn't love?

All to ensure that we would have our home again.

And it was entirely my fault. 

She told me everything which she had kept hidden for so long and I said nothing. And then to pour salt into the wound, I just left. 

Why do we keep doing this? We will get so close to having a relationship and then one of us pushes the other away. 

I keep doing this. I will get close enough to her so she feels comfortable and lets her guard down. Then I go screw it up because I am an absolute fool.

Anne had woken up from her sleep and turned her head to look at me. Her eyes were still red and puffy.

"You should take a walk. Attempt to clear your head." Her voice had a layer of sleepiness to it as she closed her eyes and fell back to sleep.

I took Anne's suggestion and exited the little cabin quietly, sliding the door shut. The trip was going to be at least  two and a half hours long, meaning night would of fallen by the time we arrived.  

I looked at the pocket watch, which sat loosely in my back pocket. Another hour and fifteen minutes. Or around that. 

Another hour and fifteen minutes where Lizzy would be at her old house, thinking that none of us cared about her. Scratch that. Thinking I didn't care about her.

I wiped the cold sweat which had formed on my brow away with the edge of my sleeve. 

One hour and fourteen minutes. 

"I am coming Lizzy." I said quietly looking into the night. 

*****

Lizzy's Pov

When I thought of my plan, I ran home and began to prepare for the journey ahead of me. Packing up all my things, writing a letter Anne and W.D to explain where I have gone. I placed my key on the wooden table, taking in the surroundings which I had called home for a while now. Trying to memorise every inch of the room so I would never forget it. My eyes trailed over to what used to be my bedroom. It was empty, truly empty. It was like no body had lived in there, like the walls held no memories. It was just a blank canvas.

I picked up my bag and ran out the door, not wanting to remind myself of everything I was going to miss for a moment longer.

It was a long train ride, sitting by myself. Letting my thoughts wonder around the tracks with each jerk of the train. 

To be honest, I didn't want to leave. I don't want to marry a man I don't love. But when my father told me that I would receive money from both him and Mr Finney, I couldn't say no. It was enough money to rebuild the circus, twice, and pay everyone their next four weeks worth of pay. 

Anyway, it is not like I was going to find anything there. Phillip left me after I told him everything, things even Anne doesn't know about me! And he just left. Poof. Gone. Disappeared. Bye-bye.  And with no explanation either. 

Love is weakness, it always has been and always will. I let myself be weak around Phillip - be vulnerable - and where did that get me. On a train going back to marry a forty year old man in order to get funds for the circus.

But love is also hope and, if that was the case, I don't want to believe in love anymore.

My father waited impatiently as I got off the train, his usual querulous manner being evident as always. Snow had begun to fall in New York but it was nothing like here. Everything was buried under a white sheet.  It would be quite beautiful if I wasn't here for the reason I am here. 

When I arrived at my old house, nothing seemed to have changed. The plants were a dead as they were when I left and the house still looked like a jail cell. 

My mother looked at me with both happiness that I had returned into her life and sadness that I had not escaped the life she herself had been trapped in.

Behind her stood a man. A rather tall and large man with charcoal black hair and eyes which had the appearance that they were glazed over, as if the man had been drinking several bottles of gin at a time. 

Mr John Finney. 

I did a small curtesy before he placed a unwanted kiss on my cheek. He roughly placed his arm onto my waist, pulling me into the living room where he continued to hold onto me. My father and Mr Finney spoke about the wedding details, trying to organise it to happen as quickly as possible. 

I stopped listening as I tried to squirm out of Mr Finney's grasp, just plainly stating I needed a cup of tea after the long journey.

I returned into the room not long after, a new pot of hot tea in my hand. 

"Two days sound perfect to me. What about you, Edith?" My father asked my mother and she meekly nodded her head, knowing never to disagree with anything his say. To play the part she had been taught to play. 

"Then it is settled then. Two days and the two of you will be wed." My father stated and he clapped his hands victoriously. 

Two days?

I felt the need to be ill and my pulse start to increase. 

I excused myself, telling the room that I should retire for the evening, before rushing elegantly up to my old room. Bolting the door shut.

It was now, that I began to cry about everything which had happened in the last twenty four hours. Every tear taking a piece of my heart with it. 

Once I finished crying, I heard my mother call out for me. So I raced to my vanity and attempted to fix whatever the tears did to my face before walking slowly downstairs.

"Someone is here to see you." My mother smiled as she held the front door open for me to see. 

It was the last person I expected to see standing on my old front door step. Someone who I  wanted to see and at the same time, didn't want to see. 

Phillip.