Chapter 23

Phillip's Pov

I stood backstage, watching Lizzy do her whole routine. One that she planned out for every second, every beat of the tune she was singing. 

The majority of the audience seemed to love her just as I did. 

I mean love her performance. Yes, her performance. 

The roaring applause from the audience awoke me from my trail of thought and just as I turned my head to the crowd, several of the protestors began to bawl at Lizzy, calling her names that I could see were really hurting her. 

I quickly made my way out there and held her wrist as she did her ending pose before she swiftly moved off stage, away from the protestors words. My eyes followed her each step until she ran so far behind stage I was unable to see her. 

I moved towards the doors and began to socialise with the leaving crowd. Talking to all the kids and their parents as they walked by, gasping at how amazing each act was. I enjoyed doing this part, actually talking to the people as people. Not as elite members of social class or dictators in what our review would be. Just one person talking to another.

"Tell all your neighbours and friends about Barnum's circus. New acts every night!" I advertised as the last of the crowd left the building. 

I began to walk towards the stage when a 'tsk' sound came from the stands. I turned to see a group of ten protestors, remaining seated. Each has a different alcoholic beverage in their hands.

"My. My Pretty boy. What a show." One of them sneered as he got up and walked towards me. 

Taking a breath, I repeated the line I had heard Barnum say several times to the gentlemen. 

"I'm sorry, I am going to have to ask you to leave." I say my voice smothered with seriousness.

W.D had now come out from behind the stage and stood behind me. 

The men scoffed before asking W.D and I what we would do about it. I didn't even have time to register what the man had said before W.D threw a punch. 

And before I knew it, there was a fight erupting between W.D and I and the men. We were outnumbered greatly.  Someone threw a punch at me, hitting me square in the jaw - knocking me over onto the ground. W.D was know being held by five of the men; three holding him back and the other two attempting to hit him. 

I got back up only to receive another blow which sent me flying a bit further this time. Lets just say I have had no experience in learning how to fight. It was something you weren't expected to learn in my family. 

Lettie came out with several other of the performers, Anne rallying them with her, as they began to even up the fight a bit. 

I did okay for my first real fight I think. I got hit a fair bit but I also threw a some punches. 

Suddenly, all the men began to run out of the building. One of them yelling something, I couldn't understand over all the noise. 

I picked up W.D off the ground just as the two of us noticed something bright coming from back stage. Smoke had begun to fill the room as we all figured out what the protestors had done. 

They had set the place on fire. 

"Quickly everyone get out!" I yell, moving people towards the door. W.D helped me carry Lettie out, due to her being hit pretty hard in the fight. 

We all gathered around outside, the fire brigade trying to distinguish the fire as quickly as possible. 

Someone body grabbed my shoulders, turning me directly towards them. 

"Phillip, is everyone out?" A frantic Barnum asked as he scouted the crowd, trying to do a head count. 

"I think so." I said, looking at everyone. Then my eyes fell up W.D and Anne standing together. 

"W.D? Anne? Where's Lizzy?" I yell. 

The pair looked around vividly, trying to spot her. 

"She is still inside!" One of the performers yelled out. 

I didn't pause to think about what I was doing, I just ran into the burning building. Barnum yelling after me. 

I could feel my skin charring due to the blazing fire and smoke began to fill my lungs as I ran backstage, where I last saw Lizzy. 

Everything had been destroyed or melted, nothing was intact. 

It didn't take me long to find her. She was laying on the ground, unconscious, her skin had been severally burnt and the metallic smell of burning blood almost made me ill as I saw the cuts on her shoulder. 

I knew I was pretty weak due to inhaling a lot of smoke, but I tried to pick her up and carry her as far as I could. I could feel her pulse, which was a good sign, The only negative was that it was rapidly getting slower.

I Managed to get out to the stage before I saw a figure coming inside, yelling my name.

"Phillip!" Barnum yelled, his coat acting as a makeshift mask.  Running towards me as I placed Lizzy on the ground, unable to hold her weight as my lungs continued to fill with smoke, causing dark spots to dance across my eyes. 

I could feel Barnum grab a hold of my arm as I blacked out. 

P.T Barnum's Pov

Phillip's full body weight quickly fell onto me as I placed him onto the floor. The fire was becoming more intense by the minute and the temperature continued to soar. 

I picked up Elizabeth, knowing that Phillip would want me to rescue her first, and rushed her out of the burning building. Placing her onto the stretcher before racing back in to get Phillip.

"They have both inhaled a lot of smoke, but they are still breathing." I say with relief as everyone clapped and cheered for the positive outcome, especially the girls. 

As the both Phillip and Elizabeth were placed onto the carriage going towards the hospital; Anne, W.D, Charity, the girls and myself all boarded a carriage after, following them to the hospital. Helen and Caroline had fell asleep on Anne's lap. 

Anne was silent for the whole ride due to what had just happened. While W.D explained to Charity and myself what had happened. 

When we arrived, we all jumped out of the carriage and raced inside to find Elizabeth and Phillip. 

"Elizabeth Gray and Phillip Carlyle. Burn victims from the fire at the circus." I say quickly to the nurse on the front desk. 

"Miss Gray is in bed E19 while Mr Carlyle is directly next from her in bed E20." The nurse stated as Charity (holding onto Helen), W.D (holding on to Caroline) and Anne all moved quickly towards the beds.

Phillip had charred skin, a cut on his forehead as well as several other injures that mirrored the ones on Elizabeth. Except Elizabeth had a bandage wrapped around her shoulder, covering the arm piece of her burnt costume.

"Excuse me!" Anne piped up as a doctor walked past. "Why is there a wrap on Lizzy's shoulder?" 

The doctor made his way over the end of the bed, picking up the clip board to read what had happened. 

"Several cuts to the left shoulder blade. It will result in some more scars on her back though." He stated as he continued to flip over the files. 

"More scars?" W.D asked, looking at the doctor. 

"Yes" He said. " Miss Gray already had several scars on her back when she came in." He informed us before changing the subject. 

"However, both Mr Carlyle and Miss Gray will be perfectly heathy when they wake up. They should be up in a couple of days, that should be plenty of time for the body to heal." 

The doctor walked away, leaving us with dozens of questions. But they can wait. I took Caroline from W.D and walked Charity back to a carriage, allowing her to go home. 

When I came back, Anne had fallen asleep on the chair next to Elizabeth's bed. Her hand intertwined with Elizabeth's burnt one.