Chapter 37

Elizabeth's Pov 

Once the show was over, Phillip and I quickly made our way over to the ballet theatre in order to see the end of Caroline's performance. I had Anne help me get into the white lace dress before I jumped in a carriage waiting outside. The snow made the carriage ride bumpy, due to the carriage trying to avoid the ice, and made it even harder the pull the pins out of my hair. Phillip and put on a black jacket, replacing his red one. 

We pulled up at the theatre just as I was fumbling with my shoes, Phillip helping me out of the carriage - lifting me over the top of some ice so I wouldn't slip on it. The two of us raced up the stairs and ended up sliding in at the back of the theatre to see Caroline. 

She was there, front and centre, in her pink tutu and leading the other girls through the routine. And over in the back ground, was a girl holding two twigs and moving them up a down, as if the wind was blowing upon the tree. I don't think it came as much of a surprise that it was Helen. 

We waited at the back of the hall until the show was over and the majority of people had left the building. Only a few remained alongside Barnum and Charity. Helen and Caroline came out from backstage not long after the performance had concluded. Running towards their parents once they saw them, Phillip step forward - a little into the light- before I pulled him back before anyone could see him. He look at me, confused at why I pulled him back.

"It's a family moment." I said, admiring their family from a far. Silently wishing that I had one like that when I was Caroline's age.

Phillip gave me a small smile as he slipped his hand into mine, leading me back to the winter weather outside. Snow had began to fall while we were inside, creating a shimmering scene as the street lights caused the snow to twinkle in the dark.  As we rode away, I could see the Barnum's hoping into one of there own. Each of them smiling and laughing. I stared Longingly at the family, watching them have everything I was never offered with my own. 

"We can go around and see them tomorrow, if you would like?" Phillip suggested as he noticed me fading away into my thoughts, quickly pulling me back. 

I nodded, with a small smile, as I rested my head on his shoulder. Hearing his heartbeat in the silent carriage. 

*****

I awoke once the sun had managed to force itself through the curtains.  I sat up right in bed to see Phillip asleep on the arm chair across from my bed. Something he did when I had a nightmare...

The events of last night came flooding back quickly, almost to the extent where I felt like I was drowning. I had fallen asleep well after we arrived back, Phillip bidding me a goodnight before retiring to his own room. 

Then, it all happened. It never changed, the nightmare. Always the same. Phillip being trapped in the fire, being hurt while all I can do is be useless, stand back ad watch. No matter how close I seem to get to him, I always get pulled further and further away from him. 

I heard a soft grumble as Phillip opened his eyes, finding my instantly. 

"You okay?" He asked as he rubbed the back of his neck. 

"Yes. You don't have to sleep on the chair whenever I have a nightmare." I said, feeling waves of guilt wash over me. Looking down at the blanket which I twirled around my fingers, an attempt to distract myself from the guilt I could feel bubbling . 

"You say that every time, but it doesn't seem to stop me" He said with a small chuckle as he walked over and sat on the edge of my bed.  "Lizzy, I love you okay? And I will do anything to make sure you are okay. And if that means sleeping on an arm chair, then so be it." 

I gave a tiny smile before Phillip announced that we should head off to Barnum's soon and that Anne and W.D were joining us. Meaning they would be here shortly. 

Just as he went to leave the room, I piped up. "Next time." I began slowly. "Don't sleep on the chair. If you are going to stay here because of me, then I can at least share the bed."

"Alright then."

****

The ride to the Barnum's house was quite short with W.D and Anne. Anne talking for the whole ride about anything and everything. Filling me in on anything that I had missed after we left last night. 

The snow fell perfectly upon the Barnum's house, providing it with the perfect amount of "winter-ness".  Barnum had managed to buy back the house from the bank, thanks to everyone at the circus pitching in a small amount to ensure that nobody would become homeless. As the carriage pulled up, the girls came running out and down the stairs, somehow managing not to slip. 

We all exited the carriage, as Helen and Caroline ran between the four of us. Pulling into the warm house, to where Barnum and Charity were sitting by the fire. 

"Lizzy! Can we show our rooms? We re-decorated!" Helen exclaimed as she dragged me up the stairs, Caroline skipping happily behind me. 

I turned my head back to everyone else, seeing them all laugh as I was kidnapped by the two girls. 

*******

Phillip's Pov

Once Caroline and Helen had dragged Lizzy away and we heard the door slam shut, we all sat down to discuss the real reason why we were here today. 

The girls had done exactly what Barnum suggested to do, to show Lizzy there rooms before illustrating to her the dance from the night before. Giving the rest of us roughly twenty to thirty minutes to plan. 

"So what is this all about?" Charity asked, her and W.D being the only two who didn't know fully what we were doing. 

I took a deep breathe before telling everyone aloud.

"I am going to propose to Lizzy."