Honey

Calm.

The world seemed calm.

Up on the roof of her castle, Elliot sat down, taking a good look at the magnificent view down below.

The city was complete, the giants, vampires and dwarves being its first inhabitants.

The abyss dragons resided in two artificial caves that doubled as armouries.

Currently, the population was sitting at a cool fifty thousand, the dwarves and vampires making up most of that sum.

"Soon...This place will have hundreds of races walking through the streets...What a kingdom this would be." Elliot muttered, pulling out her tea break,"I wonder..."

Sure, she was some kind of centuries old demon but she could indulge in treats like any normal person.

"Cinnamon cookies and honey tea." Elliot sunk her teeth into the cookies one of the knight levelled chefs made,"They're delicious..." She remarked, sipping her tea.

The silence was soothing, the quiet breeze comforting.

She had found some kind of routine in her new hectic lifestyle.

Everyday became a challenge to think of more things to do.

Life became more lively, more fun.

A feeling she had felt way back when.

Then, she felt it.

A presence she expected to show up.

"It's about time you showed yourself." Elliot called out,"You're my most fanatic follower. It's only a matter of time before you came to see me directly instead of staying in your incorporeal form."

A person formed behind Elliot,"You...Baited me. Those treats...I..."

Elliot laughed,"You're supposed to be gentle, yet vicious. Innocent yet wise. Flawed yet flawless. I wrote you as an oxymoron. Now...How long as it been?"

"I am a person that simply follows my programming instilled in me."

"I'm here now. So heed my order."

"..."

"Forget your programming. You're you, not a hardwired project I wrote one afternoon." Elliot patted the place beside her,"Sit."

Honey walked over, steps as light as a feather.

"It's been a long time, master." Honey spoke in a weathered voice,"The times of war have fallen, an era of uneasy peace has been reached."

"I will do as I please. Until I find a purpose in this life of mine." Elliot answered,"And you've changed. You're no longer what I thought you'd be."

"Just like the good old days, huh?" Honey chuckled.

"Please, i'm liking this new Honey a lot better." Elliot laughed.

"I'm liking this me a lot more too."

"Ah, taking to you has rekindled my spark for adventure. I remember the day you picked me up. A cursed child scorned for her bloodline and ungodly power and a wise sage cursing himself for his powerlessness."

Elliot didn't remember this.

She had never wrote this part.

"We both resented the system, hoping to break it. And together, we got stronger. So, utterly strong, even were were intimidated by ourselves."

"We brought out the worst in each other." Honey smiled,"You became a powerful, ruthless, killing machine that had no morality. And I became a monarch of darkness. I brought about curses and chaos. We were an unstoppable pair, conquering every country until we realised what we had become.
We became a product of the system we had hated and tried to rectify it. But the world turned against us for our sins. The hero, fed the people what they wished to hear, that man was villainous. He was just as bad as us, if not worse."

"..."

"Then, you decided to give up." Honey said quietly,"We fought for days. You wanted to give up, to let the hero win. I refused. I wanted to fight to the bitter end. If we were going down, we would in a blaze of glory, not by lowly humans beheading us."

"On that day, I committed a sin worse than treachery. I...Acted on my own. I led the army in a last act of war and was severely injured. You came in and saved me. You sacrificed your life for me." The last few lines were stuck in his throat.

Honey felt choked, staring down at Elliot who was looking down at the city.

He felt like bawling his eyes out, apologising for days for his stupid mistakes, killing himself to right his wrong.

"We all sin. We're all the same. Even the holiest of the bunch has sinned, what say you, a sage turned evil? Don't regret the past, old friend, atone in the future. We both have regrets, all we can do now is make up for them. Whaddaya say? We'll make this our utopia. Our ideals will change. This time, we won't fight the system..." Elliot looked to her left.

A dashing young man sat beside her, hair as dark as the night sky, his red pupils trembled, looking so vulnerable.

"We'll make our own one." Elliot finished.

Honey's lower lip quivered.

He wiped away stray tears and nodded,"We will. We will."

"From today onwards...You are not a subject. You are not permitted to call me master, sir or your highness. You are my friend. The most loyal one I have. Think for yourself first, I'm pretty sure a demon lord like myself can handle herself pretty well."

Honey's eyes widened,"Why are you...Treating me so well? I have done nothing to deserve this I-"

Elliot pressed her finger to Honey's lips,"Atone for our sins. Forget the past. You're a friend, now stop crying, act like one and eat cookies, drink tea with an old friend and let's chat."

Honey wiped away more tears as he picked up a cookie.

It was sweet, warm and tasted amazing.

He had shared his sins with Elliot back in the ancient war.

They would share the price of atoning for them.

There, humanity's greatest threats were sitting on a roof, having a tea break while chatting each other up.

In that short hour of talking, they were completely absorbed in each other, neither caring about the outside world.

As long as they had each other, an ally, a friend that had been through thick and thin with them, they knew they would be welcome.

It was no longer Elliot by herself

Nearly thirty thousand years had passed, yet their bond never ceased.

From now on, it would be Elliot and Honey against the world.