To Their Limits

"Six little kingdoms, lying in wait. Candie takes one in master's stead. Five little kingdoms, lying in wait. Waiting for us to conquer and take~" Candie sang.

"Now let's see...How shall I make this one fun? Hum tee tum~" Candie stared down at the kingdom he was about to take over from a nearby mountain.

Haethrowe, a fairly average kingdom with nothing much to show beside a substantial amount of corrupt officials and a puppet king.

"Nothing but crooked humans without a shred of loyalty. A useless king that cares more about money than his people. Absolutely disgusting. Come on now." Candie tugged at Lysander and Maximilian.

They grunted as Candie trudged forward into the city,"Where are we going...Master?" Max asked wth a grunt.

"Haethrowe. We, no you. You're going to help me take over this kingdom. And i'll spice it up! If you don't take over this kingdom within...Say...Three hours, even with my help, i'll kill one of your friends and cripple the remainder. Hohoho! That makes the stakes higher! And let's make this even better! If you do it in under half an hour, I'll release both of you and one of your friends from the leashes. Of course, if you try to run...Nothing but endless torture and pain awaits without death in sight." Candie grinned manically, sending chill after chill through their spines.

Out of the six people they had come to know as the Masked Depravities, there were three that seemed tolerant at least and friendly at best to them.

The Oracle, the Queen of Hearts and the Vampiress.

There was the newly appointed rook the Princess who was the nicest out of the four.

Then, the remaining three were the epitome of evil, the very definition, the culmination of all their nightmares balled into one tight bundle of three.

Lord Commandment, a sadistic, insane and deranged demihuman with near god-like powers of controlling the environment and manipulating minds.

The Devil's Trident, the most deadly of the rooks, with powers that exceeded human imagination and utmost loyalty towards the leader of the group.

The Emperor, leader of the Masked Depravities and the most mysterious of the bunch.

Nothing about him made him feel dangerous.

From the short stature to his petite body shape, he seemed like a frail man about to die off.

But his ability definitely exceeded the rest, seeing as he had formed what was essentially a group that could bring about the end of the world with a single command from him.

They would follow him with blind loyalty, never questioning his actions.

Lysander stared down at the unsuspecting people, his face masked his feelings.

"A sneak attack from behind?" Lysander suggested.

Candie shook his head,"No no no. I am not a coward that hides behind the factor of surprise. To beat a kingdom into submission, you need unmistakable force. To cull the flames of rebellion, you need to crush every shred of hope. And the first step of doing as such, is to bring the kingdom to the limits of their despair! To destroy their wills to kill off the spirit of rebellion! That, is the way!"

"But such a solution is...Only temporary," Max said with a shudder at Candie's cruel words.

"It's worked with you, the strongest of the bunch. So tell me, when the people see you following my orders...Will they dare take up arms against us?" They could almost see the unmistakable grin behind the lifeless mask.

Behind the mask of the six, with the exception of the Princess, were six unstoppable monsters.

The world was at a single person's mercy.