Apprenticeship

"Everyone. Today, we are gathered to discuss a problem. A very huge problem. The Elisia kingdom-No. The Elisia Empire." Decaux VII Gredence announced.

"Hrm. That baby kingdom i've kept on hearing about? What about it?" Jaliste responded gruffly.

"Baby kingdom? It's not a baby anymore. It's a parasite. Our adventurer guild...As you know, is not on friendly relations with other...Races. Especially the lesser ones. Now, this emperor character is trying to bring about all races...I believe we may have a major threat on our hands."

"Hmph. We'll just crush it like the hero did the demon empire of past."

"It's not as simple as you think. We...We can't afford to order a hit."

"What?"

"Elisia...It's eaten up many kingdoms already. And our powers have been driven into five kingdoms. One that's in desperate need of assistance in Bherealia and four others in a other countries facing heavy fire from other guilds."

"Damn! We can't afford to lose this..."

"Wait...What's that...?"

Decaux stiffened up as he felt a presence about to strike at full speed.

"Take co-"

————

Elliot trod the streets quietly, head down as she surveyed the area.

Compared to Holliet, this place looked like a dump.

"It's better than Bherealia..." Elliot muttered,"Hm?...Someone?"

Elliot ducked into a corner,"[Modded: Devilish Illusions]."

Elizabeth had been tailing Elliot when she disappeared into an alleyway.

As she entered in, there was not a single sign of life,"I could swear-" An arm wrapped around her throat as her vision turned black.

"Quite some brawn to follow me, princess." Elliot hissed.

"Let mfffmff go!" Elizabeth struggled to no avail.

Elliot's grip was like an iron-grip, unbreakable.

"Mfm!" She was pushed against the wall roughly,"Tell me, why are you tailing me? You have ten seconds."

"I just wanted to see you!"

"See me?"

"You're...You're strong, intelligent and pretty! Which princess wouldn't tail you?!" Elizabeth breathlessly replied, red in the face.

"Well it's impolite to stalk, miss. Ever heard of asking politely? What do they teach you in etiquette class? Following people you like?" Elliot frowned as she released her spell, dusting off her pants.

"Well, could I please talk with you?" Elizabeth asked.

"No."

"What? Why? I just asked nicely! Hey wait! Where're you going?!"

"Walking. Around town. Sight-seeing. Ever heard of it? It's something tourists do. Except i'm not here to see pretty buildings."

"Sight-seeing? There's not a single sight to see besides poverty and hunger!" Elizabeth shouted,"This place is a dump!"

"D'you honestly think I leave my work to my subjects? I'm not some useless idiot that idles around while people scratch my arse. It's much more productive to do work than lazing around."

"It's pretty fun. You should do that instead of being a pretty princess that wins at every competition because you're royalty. Besides, I need the layout and situation of a place to help it, no?"

Elizabeth frowned in displeasure at Elliot's coarse mouth,"Excuse me. I've worked my butt off every single day of my life and you have the guts to insult me like that? Emperor or not, you're extremely rude!"

Elliot rolled her eyes,"Worked your butt off? I'd like to see you work harder than the slaves working your fields, princess. Do try to rebuke me. It's much more productive than you staring jaw open at me. Go on, I don't bite."

"I-I've been practicing every single day! I'm going to get into a good school and i'll be successful! I won't need my title as royalty to do it either!" Elizabeth retorted.

"Yet...You're nothing." Elliot said bluntly,"Honestly, your title's the only think redeeming about you. What else do you have? Magic? You're nothing compared to your teacher. You only win cause they let you. So what else do you-I guess your looks are okay too."

"Huh? What about you? Y-you foul mouthed arrogant know-it-all!" Elizabeth hissed.

"I'm an Emperor with a monopoly on glass, silk and delicacies of different races. I've brought tens of species under my rule and hold power over an empire tens of times larger than the one your father rules, including this territory. I'd bet a million gold that you've accomplished nothing but fussing about your hair and boys. Maybe the occasional hissy fit about not being about to do anything like your brothers?" Elliot took a single sidelong glance and Elizabeth and rolled her eyes,"Spot on."

Elizabeth grit her teeth.

Elliot was completely right and she hated it.

"Don't you cry on me."

Elizabeth sniffed,"I'm not-Crying...Something just...Got in my eye is all."

"And why are you definitely not crying?"

"Because! You...You..."

"Showed you the truth? Criticised you for your failures? What, you think because the rooks treat you nicely, I will too? I'll be honest, I don't like people who act like sissies. Toughen up, princess."

"Toughen up? How am I supposed to do that?! I came here hoping to ask you to teach me!" Elizabeth cried.

Elliot felt slightly guilty for being blunt but nonetheless, breaking ego was essential to helping a person grow.

"I was going to-" Elizabeth hiccuped,"Ask you to make me your apprentice...But you're not even thinking of me as a person that's worth talking to!" Elizabeth squatted down, hiding her head with her hands.

"..."

"I...I just hoped you would give me a chance...But..." Elizabeth had prepared herself for disappointment and stood up.

She turned away proudly, not letting her emotions show,"I see now."

Elliot narrowed her eyes,"Oi."

Elizabeth stopped in her tracks,"You haven't criticised me enough? Torture me more then, emperor."

"Answer me one question. If I gave you a chance at changing...What would you be willing to give up?"

"I would do anything. Anything. If I could save this country...I..."

Elliot snorted,"Leave the country saving to me. You, save yourself first. Meet me in the courtyard tomorrow. We leave first thing in the morning. I'll see how hard you work." Elliot said in a finalising tone, walking away.

Elizabeth looked up, a contract floating before her.

Her eyes widened and she bit her lip.

The title of the contract read:

Apprenticeship to Elliot Angels