Marry Me Then

"Ooh! Ayy! Ohh!" The festival had already started, people danced and sat around large fires, little children burnt meat with sugar on then, calling it a delicacy.

All in all, it was a fun experience.

"Glazed meat, never thought sweet could mix with savoury." Honey muttered.

"I tried some before. I think I cooked it wrong then, tasted like crud." Elliot said in between mouthfuls of food.

She sat in front of Honey, her back pressing against his chest.

"It couldn't have been that bad, could it?"

"Trust me. When things go bad in the kitchen, you can smell it from a mile away. Literally and figuratively."

"I'd still eat it if you cooked it."

"Pfft. You'd eat anything if given the chance."

"I'd eat you up."

Elliot started coughing as Honey said that line.

Punching her chest to stop herself, she frowned at Honey,"Did you just try a pick-up line on me?"

"Maybe I did. Maybe I didn't. You be the judge."

"Please." Elliot rolled her eyes,"Save it for later. There are some things I do NOT want to think about when eating."

"But you know you love it." Honey waggled his eyebrows teasingly, causing Elliot to puff her cheeks and ignore him, choosing to focus intently on the piece of meat she was holding.

Honey chuckled to himself and looked around.

He saw several children playing together, talking and cooking themselves.

"Hey...Those...Those kids they...Where're their parents?"

Elliot turned to where he pointed,"Them?"

"Yea."

"They don't have parents."

"...What?"

"Maest Islands is...Hidden. There's a fog surrounding the island blanketing it. Every year, they send out people to guard the island, if ever comes the time that the fog lifts. These people they...They are sent to their respective island's outer rim to live out their days. People consider the entire thing as holy. That it's an honour to give oneself up for their people. In a way, it's their way of coping, innit?"

"Can't they do patrols? Like switch with each other every few months?" Honey frowned.

"The fog traps people with little magic in them. And these people...They have talent. Raw, unbridled talent in fighting. But they lack the mana. So...Once they touch come into contact with the fog, a meter would seem like a billion kilometres."

"That's...Horrible. Why do they even do that?" Honey felt sickened,"To leave these kids orphaned at such a young age..."

"It's their way of life. No one complains. They call these kids the 'Messiah's Blessed'. To adopt them would be considered blasphemy. The kids don't complain much either. They learn to accept it and stick with each other."

Honey pursed his lips,"This barrier it-"

"It isn't magic. It's...Something natural. We can't just wave a hand or snap our fingers to dispel it."

"Damn." Honey cursed, Elliot's response had anticipated his questions.

"Don't worry about it. These kids they're the strongest of the bunch. To survive alone, they gain some kinda aloofness. It makes them survivors. They can fight the good fight when it comes down to it."

"I'd never treat our kids like that."

Elliot was coughing again,"Idiot!" She hissed," We're not even...Not even married!"

Honey rested his chin on her head, his arms circling her waist,"Marry me then."

Elliot went stiff.

"You said this was a transitional period. Transitional periods don't last long in my book. I might not have much to offer...But...[Inventory]." Honey pulled out a small ring.

It had one big gem, the half the size of her pinky finger's nail.

It was a deep red colour with accents of purple.

The actual ring itself was made from some kind of silver that shined radiantly under the campfire's light.

On the inside of the ring were the words 'To my Beloved Ellie'.

"Waiting for thousands of years can be boring. So, I went to the library. I think I read a book somewhere. In ancient times, the groom would present the bride a ring while on one knee. I'd love to do that but...I don't wanna let you go." Honey whispered into her ear, causing tremors to go through Elliot.

"..."

"I know i'm supposed so say something to convince you right now but...I suppose actions speak louder than words. Besides...It was kinda impulsive on my part. Still."

Elliot was quiet, her eyes fixated on the ring while her mind replayed his words.

Her mind was starting to blank out.

To ask her so impulsively, she didn't know how to respond.

With each passing second, Honey felt the tension build up.

Was Elliot hesitating?

Did he do something wrongly?

What if she said no?

He bit his lip tightly, hoping the pain would get rid of his doubts.

Even his inner demon was freaking out.

Oh my god.

Now you've fucking done it.

Proposing is supposed to be romantic!

You've just gone and popped the question without warning.

AHHHHHH.

Why is she quiet?

Have you pissed her off?

The fuck have you done?!

You've ruined it!

Shut up Xavier.

I...I'll take whatever answer she gets.

If she says no...I'll win her over.

If she wants time, I'll wait.

As long as I have to.

...If she rejects us...I'm blaming you.

I won't talk to you until you win her back.

Fine...

Honey clenched his teeth nervously, his heart pounding so deafeningly loud in his ears he could almost swear Elliot could hear it.

The world seemed to go quiet, melding into darkness as her closed his eyes, concentrating.

Whatever she said, he would prepare himself for it.

Breathe in.

Breathe out.

One, two.

One, two.

That's it.

Just as Honey calmed down, his heartbeat picked up again at the sight of the quiet Elliot.

She had been silent all this while, leaving him on edge and in anticipation of her answer.

Come on, come on.

Xavier almost sounded like he was tapping his foot nervously.

Why isn't she saying anything?

Have you done something to her?

What have you done?

Honey ignored him and silently waited for Elliot to reply.