Chapter 27 - Breaking Down

SHAUN’S POV

I was just finishing up putting all the old band junk I took into the spare room. A tired Brooke wandered in just as I put the last of it down, my first amp.

“When did this room turn into an antique instruments display?” she asked confused as to why all this crap was in the house.

“Hey, um…tonight,” I answered not sure if I should tell her about the break up.

“Why?” she laughed.

“We broke up,” I suddenly said.

“What?” she asked a bit shocked.

“We broke up,” I repeated unable to look at her.

“No, I heard you,” she started, “I didn’t want to; I still want to be with you, I just…”

“Wait, I didn’t mean me and you, silly,” I cut her off slightly laughing.

‘Oh, what did you mean?” she questioned feeling a little stupid.

“The band,” I answered the smile leaving my face.

She immediately looked saddened by it knowing how much it meant to me. She grabbed my arm and led me to the living room and we both sat on the couch.

“What happened?” she asked curiously.

“I didn’t want to, we had no choice,” I replied feeling the tears welling up.

“Did the label drop you?” she put her arm around me; she always knew when I was upset.

“No, Chris and Trevor don’t even know we broke up, we just…” I felt tears falling down my face and had to stop to wipe them away.

“It’s okay to cry, Shaun,” she assured me and pulled my hand away from my face keeping a hold of it.

“It’s Andy,” I started, “he’s sick.”

“What do you mean sick?” she asked curiously.

I wasn’t sure if I should tell her, but I need to get all of this out. It’s eating me alive.

“He’s got brain cancer,” I confessed, “it can’t be treated.”

“Aw babe,” she pulled me into a hug and I couldn’t help but cry.

“How long?” she questioned and I knew exactly what she meant.

“Up to two months,” I answered dampening her PJs with my tears.

“Babe, why didn’t you tell me?” she asked saddened and thought that I couldn’t trust her.

“Because I only just found out a little while ago,” I answered releasing myself from our embrace.

“Who else knows?” she asked.

“Just me and Bradie,” I replied wiping my tear-stained cheeks with the back of my hand.

“Andy hasn’t told the rest of his family?” she was shocked.

“Nah, I think he’s gonna do it soon though,” I explained, “if he doesn’t, I will.”

“I’m so sorry I wasn’t here for you,” she put her forehead against mine and suddenly kissed me.

I pulled away straight away to her confusion. I just knew it wasn’t right.

“What’s wrong?” she asked a bit hurt.

“You only kissed me because you felt sorry for me,” I explained, “it’s not right, I wanna do this when you totally forgive me.”

“You’re amazing,” she smiled.

“You are,” I replied attempting to rub my shoulder, it was killing me.

“Sore back?” she asked.

“Yeah, a bit,” I answered.

“From sleeping on the couch?” she questioned feeling bad.

“Nah, from cleaning out the old band room all day,” I lied; honestly it was from sleeping on the couch I just didn’t want her to feel bad.

“You can come back to our room tonight,” she smiled.

“Really?” I was shocked to be honest.

“Yeah, you need a good rest when you’re gonna be a daddy,” she answered with a smile.

 “Race you then!” I teased jumping over the back of the couch and running up the stairs.

“Wait…” she said confused as I ran off, “my baby has no father!”

She ran after me and finally made it to the bedroom where I was waiting.

“No one can beat the Divinator,” I winked.

“Divinator?” she looked at me like I was stupid, “it sounds like a lame porn-star name.”

“It is, I’ve been doing porn to make money for you and the baby,” I joked.

“Who’d wanna watch it?” she laughed.

“Oi, you got the full 3D show, you’d watch it,” I replied with a wink.

“Sure thing, ‘El Squeako,” she smirked getting into bed.

“Why am I called ‘El Squeako? Why won’t you and Karrisa tell me?” I questioned curiously.

“The less you know, the better,” she replied closing her eyes.

I shook my head; looks like things are looking up in our relationship.