𝓉𝓌𝑜

As the rain continued to pour down onto the deserted streets of Riverdale, a single figure endured the cold. The stranger, with nowhere else to go to, wandered through the empty town. Underneath the pink neon lights of Pop's she sought refuge from the downpour. Little did she know, she would find a chance in the worn leather seats of a booth.

+ + +

The bell rang as Nellie pushed open the door to the poorly lit diner. It was the only thing open at this time that wouldn't cost her a fortune. She let the warmth wash over her as she selected a booth in the farthest corner of the establishment.

Tired, she let her head lean back against the vibrant red leather seats. The smell of fried food and cheap detergent wafted over her. The background music was too soft to make out any of the lyrics.

Tears were once more burning behind her eyelids as she thought of how big of a mess was waiting for her, once she left this diner behind. Pressing her palms against her tired eyes, she tried to force her exhausted mind to think of solutions.

Nellie had to admit it to herself; Hiram Lodge had been her last resort. She did not want to play the daughter card but when the landlord kicked her out of the small one bedroom appartement she had shared with her mother, she had nowhere else to go. She had lived in a motel on the road to Riverdale for two nights. Long enough for her to realize life on the streets was nothing for her. She needed to settle somewhere. At least until she finished school. Then Nellie would see what happens next.

A soft huff, caused Nellie to look up. She had not realized the waiter was standing next to her table. The older man was staring down at her, his notepad dangling in his hand.

"What can I get ya, kid?" he said. Nellie didn't realize she had been staring at the ridiculous hat on the man's head and quickly turned her stare at the plasticized menu. Every dish was accompanied by a number of coins she would need to lay down on the table. Money that was now more than ever, necessary.

As her eyes roamed over the options, she felt the sparse coins in the pocket of her jeans burn. She would never have enough to make it through another day.

"Just the fries, please," she said, turning the menu upside down on the table.

"Are you certain you do not want to taste the fried chicken? It is delicious," the man replied.

At the thought alone, her stomach rumbled wanting. Instead, Nellie shook her head, "Only fries,"

As soon as the waiter left, Nellie turned her gaze outside where a black motorcycle was enduring the rainfall. She didn't realize she absentmindedly had stared at it until a plate of crispy fries and deliciously smelling fried chicken was placed in front of her, accompanied by an ice cold glass of cola.

"I didn't order this," Nellie immediately said but the waiter who had taken her order insisted.

"It's on the house," he replied, a grin spreading on his face.

Nellie glanced at his name card but frowned as she read the two letters. "Thanks, F.P.?"

The man chuckled and extended his hand. "F.P. Jones, nice to meet you."

"Nellie Hearst," Nellie replied, shaking his hand before she dug her teeth into the crispy crust of the fried chicken. F.P. Jones had been right, it was delicious. 

Without any warning, the waiter suddenly sat down on the other side of her booth. "Mind if I sit down? It's pretty calm at this hour anyway," he continued without even waiting for approval.

Nellie couldn't help but glance quickly at the man behind the counter, who she assumed was the boss. However, F.P. caught her and followed her stare. 

"Don't worry, kid, I don't bite," he defended himself almost immediately.

At his worried look, a gush of guilt wafted over Nellie, especially as the man behind the counter nodded reassuringly. 

She looked at her fingers playing with the plate of fries in front of her. Finally, she scooted the basket over the table towards F.P.

"I'm sorry, I'm just tired and well, currently... things aren't really looking good to me," she admitted. How she managed to tell a complete stranger about her situation and not her friends back in New York was a mystery. Perhaps she was too tired to fight it anymore and could she finally admit that perhaps this was a mess that wasn't that easy to clean up. 

"If life in Riverdale has taught me anything, it's that there's always a solution," F.P. said, snatching a fry from the plate. He leaned back, holding a calculating gaze in his eyes.

"Are you in trouble?" he said, sticking his chin out as he spoke. 

"Financial trouble, that is," Nellie cleared the air, letting her head lean back as she confided the stranger. 

"Coming to Riverdale was my last resort. I had hoped my father would help me, but I should've known better."

F.P. Jones perked up in his seat. "And who may this bastard of a father be?" he said, dipping another fry in the ketchup.

Nellie huffed, looking away from the waiter. "I don't think he'll listen to you. He listens to no one. That's what being Hiram Lodge is all about."

F.P. dropped the next fry on its way to his mouth. "Hiram Lodge is your father?" he said, his tone laced with disbelief.

"He probably never mentioned his daughter in New York," Nellie replied, unable to contain her distaste talking about the man. "He knocked up my mother when she worked for him, nearly forced her to give notice and then made certain she kept quiet by providing for us. That until he one day decided that he rather had his reputation damaged than take care of the two of us. He just disappeared from our lives," 

The words stumbled from her lips. When she realized that perhaps she had said too much, she went to chewing her lip, pretending to pick a piece of fried chicken. She started mumbling, lifting fries of the basket and taking her precious time to dip them in the ketchup. 

"Don't worry, kid, Mr. Lodge is no friend of mine," F.P. said, leaning in closer. "And if that poor excuse of a man refuses to do his duty to his family, I'll gladly offer you a place in mine," He leaned back, looking smug and very pleased with himself.

"Do you have a place to stay?" he said, nodding at her. Nellie looked up. She had a feeling about what he was about to propose and she did not know how she should reply. 

She shook her head, "He kicked me out of the Pembrooke," she muttered, ashamed she didn't put up more of a fight when he did.

"Until we find you a place to stay, you can stay with me and my boy," 

"I can't take that offer, Mr. Jones," Nellie replied already shaking her head. As she looked outside, however, she realized she needed a place to stay and with her lack of money, she could not afford a room in a hotel. 

"Nonsense, my place is tiny, but there's enough place for you to stay the night. Tomorrow, we'll look for another solution." F.P. said. 

"Thanks, Mr. Jones, I don't really have any solutions right now," Nellie said, grabbing the final piece of fried chicken. Relief washed over her when she realized she would not have to spend the night outside.

F.P. leaned closer, a smile vanishing the wrinkles at the corner of his eyes, "That's why the Serpents are at your service, Miss Hearst."