𝓉𝓌𝑒𝓃𝓉𝓎-𝓈𝑒𝓋𝑒𝓃

"She's a badass with a good heart, soft but strong, unapologetic and honest,..."

- r.h. sin

+ + + +

Back in the trailer, Nellie was skimming over a newspaper she found on one of the doorsteps of a neighboring trailer. She promised herself to return it once she finished but as the words kept dancing on the paper, she figured it might take a while until she could decipher the job offers of Riverdale. 

Suddenly the door banged open with a force, making her jump up. Sweet Pea strode inside, throwing the door closed behind him. Confusion and surprise read on his face as he noticed Nellie's shocked features observing him. He wasn't used to her being in the trailer in the middle of the day.

She was wearing one of his hoodies, one he used to wear when he was fifteen. He hadn't seen it in years. It must've been mixed up with his brother's stuff. The bright red made her face almost look as tanned as his skin. Her dark hair curled beneath her ear. Her big brown eyes were still locked on him. For a second he forgot why he was angry but the truth of it returned so suddenly even Sweet Pea himself is surprised about it.

Before Nellie could even ask what was wrong, he let out a groan and dropped down on his bed, nearly hitting his head on the thin wall behind him. He pressed his palms against his eyes. He didn't even notice Nellie leaving her seat at the table to come sit down next to him. However, he felt her presence. 

A hesitant hand lingered between his shoulder blades. The tension of his muscles eased slightly, enough for Nellie to notice. 

"They're going to break down Southside High," Sweet Pea said, finally opening his eyes. He casted a look to the side, watching Nellie bite her lip in thought. Her fingers absentmindedly ran circles across his back. Her touch made it hard to stay mad although he felt betrayed.

The news was spreading quickly through the Southside. He had yet to figure out who was the main source but it was proving impossible to discard it. On his way back home, Sweet Pea had passed his former school, surprised to see bright yellow tape and fences blocking the entrance. A paper pasted on the brick surface of the school announced its demolition. 

Another thing of his youth being smashed to the ground, he thought. He had to admit that he never liked going to school. If he could, he didn't bother to show up at all. But lately, things started to feel weird. The Southside was slowly changing, an underground movement taking what once belonged to the Serpents. He had no idea what was going on and that bothered him the most. 

Until Jughead showed up, he was the one the younger Serpents thought of as their leader. He knew what happened in the Southside. He had a Ghoulie friend who snitched on her gang to inform him. He had pawns everywhere. 

Right now, he had to hear it from Toni. 

It stung. 

His pride was hurt. It was something he hadn't foreseen the moment Jughead had decided to join the Serpents. Although many of their friends still listened to Sweet Pea, he was losing his influence. He rested his chin on his knuckles, focusing instead on the soothing circles drawn on his back. 

"That sucks," Nellie finally let out, placing her hand flat on his back and shifting in her seat. He didn't want her to stop. 

Sweet Pea glanced from the corner of his eye at her. She was looking so innocent, he thought as her brown eyes were huddled in a mist. He knew she was thinking about something to say, something to ease his mind. Could he tell her that just her presence was enough to calm him down?