𝑒𝓁𝑒𝓋𝑒𝓃

An unlikely duo made their way past the trees that graced the highway. Holding onto her rider, Nellie cursed the moment she had decided to vacate her work. The image of her half-sister, looking like an angel, would burn a new memory in her mind. One she could be tossing and turning over when she couldn't sleep. How different life could've been when other decisions had been made.

+ + + + + 

On the back of a dangerously fast motorcycle, Nellie felt her walls slowly crumble. She had always thought herself to be strong. After all, she had been on her own for over three months since her mother died. 

But the truth hurt. It burned inside her as humiliation and defeat battled for dominance. She was still the angsty girl desperate for her father's attention. She may have hated Hiram Lodge ever since he left, but she still wanted to make him proud. It was a sick little world she lived in.

She shut her eyes close, begging her tears not to spill. Her grip around Sweet Pea's waist tightened, although she didn't notice. The Serpent however did, and slowed his pace. He couldn't glance back, their speed not allowing him to lose his focus on the road ahead but the way Nellie clung to him said enough.

Whatever had happened during the ceremony, it had rattled her bones. Her motivated work attitude disappeared as snow from the sun when she had left the confirmation behind. 

Feeling responsible over her, Sweet Pea drove her back to his trailer in Sunnyside Trailer Park. The sunny day was growing gloomy with dark gray clouds threatening the sky. 

As soon as they skidded to a halt, Nellie released her grip on the gang member. He thoughtfully registered her staggering to the door. She was wearing his brother's sweater but from underneath peaked a skirt too short for the rain that was about to pour down. Her simple flats would be drenched in seconds if she stayed outside for too long. 

With the first raindrops, Sweet Pea had followed her inside to where she just stood still in the room. Her eyes darted from the door to her bedroom, to the bathroom, to the simple bench. As the rain clattered against the thin roof of the trailer, her eyes sought the source of the noise through the small windows. 

Sweet Pea stood frozen and observed the strange girl. Who did F.P. force upon him? After having her as a guest for a week, he still didn't know a single thing about Nellie Hearst. 

When he searched her face for any sign or indication of what transpired in her head, she noticed and abruptly faced the other way. 

Apart from the tapping on the roof, the trailer was silent.

Sweet Pea scratched the back of his head before he shrugged off his leather jacket and went to the fridge. 

Nellie crossed her arms in front of her chest. Her heart was beating loudly. To her it was the only sign she was still alive. All the hurt she had pushed down the last couple of months had resurfaced when she noticed Veronica Lodge standing in front of the aisle. Her breathing hatched when the memory of her mother's funeral was achingly clear on her vision. She didn't even notice when a shadow fell over her.

Upon raising her gaze and bringing her surroundings back into focus, she stared up at Sweet Pea. He looked almost innocent as he lifted his hands to reveal two glasses filled with an amber spirit. 

"You look like you could use something a bit stronger than cheap wine," he said with a soft smile. The sound of his voice brought her back from the haze she had fallen under. Suddenly the moment of reality became very clear. It was as if he handed her a shovel to burry her past with once more. 

Forcing a smile on her face, Nellie accepted the glass and brought it to her lips. The drink didn't hold any taste but it burned its way down her throat. Her ears almost immediately glowed as the alcohol started to get into her system.