𝓉𝒽𝒾𝓇𝓉𝓎

"You're every wrong that I need at night"

- The Heat by The Score

+ + + + 

When Nellie entered Andrews' office, she immediately tensed something was different. The friendly and welcoming man of the morning, was now hunched over his desk, a phone pressed to his ear.

"Listen Hermione, I can't cooperate to a cause I do not support no matter the benefits for my company or family." He muttered, frustration lacing every word.

A voice echoed through the phone in response. Fred Andrews didn't even look up as Nellie took a seat on the opposite side of the desk. She wondered if she had interrupted a heated conversation, but then again, it was too late to leave the room. 

Fred rubbed his hand across his face, scratching the skin underneath his hairline. 

"Listen, I do not support the prison. End of discussion." He repeated in the speaker, his voice stern and solid. Nellie shrank in her seat. So Jughead had been right. There were plans for a prison coming to Riverdale.

"I don't care about the benefits we're missing, Hermione. You know the type of man I am. I need a clean conscious. A prison will tear Riverdale apart, starting with the Southside. I don't want it to happen under my responsibility."

He was interrupted by murmurs on the other side of the line. 

"I am certain there are equally skilled constructors in Greendale," Fred managed to get in between the ramblings of the woman named Hermione.

"I am sorry too," he finally added, in a tone softer than a whisper.

Clearing his throat, Fred ended the conversation and focused on Nellie.

"Don't worry, we have big projects other than SoDale," he said with a friendly tone but his eyes did not support his statement. Nellie, feeling like an intruder, just shrugged and allowed herself to smile in sympathy to her new employer.

"Just tell me what to do, boss," she said, clasping her hands together in her lap. 

And so, Fred Andrews did.

+ + + + 

After an interesting afternoon with Fred Andrews, Nellie made her way back to the trailer park by bus. Her eyes were vacantly staring outside. She allowed herself to return to the conversation she had at lunch when Jughead shared new information to her. She wasn't entirely sure he would've if she hadn't showed up for Sweet Pea.

She clenched her fists in her lap. She had decided to trust the boy and now he proved not to trust her. It stung. As far as she knew, she hadn't done anything to deserve his distrust. 

When the trailer park came in sight, Nellie let out a relieved sigh and descended the bus to head straight for the trailer of Sweet Pea. As the sun began to set, it became clear that not a single light was burning from inside. He wasn't home yet. 

Locking the front door, the sound of an engine lured Nellie to glance upon the road. In a cloud of dust, a small motorcycle headed straight for Sweet Pea's trailer. The driver skidded to a halt, motioning for Nellie. 

From underneath the black helmet escaped bright pink strands of hair. Toni Topaz.

"Nellie!" the petite girl yelled, waving frantically. Locking the door again, Nellie dashed down the stairs, running towards the girl. 

"Get on, there's trouble." Toni said, already turning the motorcycle for Nellie to jump on. 

"I have no helmet," the other girl interjected but Toni shut her mouth by sending a flock of pebbles behind her as she let the engine roar.